Microsoft .vhd file not loading in VPC 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft .vhd file not loading in VPC 2007

I am running Vista Ultimate on an AMD dual core 64 processor with 4 GB of RAM. SP 1 and all other updates are installed.

I have used every Microsoft OS ever sold but this is my first attempt to use Virtual PC. I downloaded and installed VPC 2007, then I downloaded IE7_VPC.exe which is supposedly an image of XP SP2. I downloaded the latter file into my Downloads folder and expanded it. Next I opened VPC. I drug the large .vhd file from downloads onto the CD icon at the bottom of the VPC window. I have tried everything under the sun to get the thing to boot but have had no success. I have bebooted the system to no avail and to be honest I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

I'm sure I am overlooking something simple but I obviously need help. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Microsoft .vhd file not loading in VPC 2007

Originally posted by Cecil Britton View Post
    I'm sure I am overlooking something simple but I obviously need help.
    Actually, you do, Cecil.
    The VHD file is the virtual machine's Virtual Hard Disk. As such, it is not something you should load into the virtual CD drive. Into the CD drive you can load either physical CDs (by redirecting it to a physical drive) or CD images of some kind (ISOs work perfectly)... But not VHD files.
    I suggest you create a new machine, set its location (create a new one, or use the folder the VHD is located in), set the OS, the RAM. When you get to the Virtual Hard Disk dialog box, choose An existing virtual hard disk . Then enter the downloaded VHD file's location. Decide if you want undo disks or not (can be changed later) and should be all.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thank you so much Sorin. I feel like an idiot for trying to load a "hard disk" onto a CD drive. I was thinking of the .vhd file as being an image file.

I guess you could say I didn't see the forest for the trees.

Comment

It's OK. It happens to us all, so don't feel "special"

Have you managed to run the downloaded machine?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thanks again Sorin. Yes I have used the new machine and once I did what you suggested everything worked like a charm.

I'm sure I will experience other problems as I use the VM more rigorously than I have so far. So don't be surprised to see me here again.

Comment

Don't worry, I won't be surprised... You are welcome to post here your questions, and I hope you will find the solutions as fast as this one.
            I hope you'll visit the forum to answer other people's questions also...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X