No announcement yet.

Virtual Server 2005 R2 + WIN98 problem (CPU load at 100%)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Server 2005 R2 + WIN98 problem (CPU load at 100%)

This is driving me nuts, I have a legacy application that is running on a windows 98 virtual machine.

Server itself is a dual opteron box and therefore has 2 physical CPU's, unfortunately this win98 VM ALWAYS runs at 100% CPU Load and the underlaying 2003 x64 server is showing that load spread evenly between the two CPUs.

it seems to make the 2003 server run a bit sluggish.

the 98 VM isn't really running at 100%, its CPU load is normal between 2-5% when idle and yet VMRC or Virtual Server admin website are showing it at 100%. interestingly enough, if you watch VMRC long enough the CPU load will drop to 70/80% every once in a while and then jump right back up to 100%

any ideas? I'm almost thinking it's something like old school DOS, I think DOS couldn't really "waste" cpu cycles and would always run a default routine that kept it at 100% no matter what

I realize I can adjust resources and only give this win98 a certain % of available CPUs, but either way this win98 maxes out whatever is given to it so that's not really a solution

Last edited by ZrOuT; 2nd April 2008, 19:12.

Re: Virtual Server 2005 R2 + WIN98 problem (CPU load at 100%)

What version of VS2005 are you using? 32bit? 64 bit? SP1?
    How did you configure the resource allocation on the server? It would be nice if you could post a screenshot of your Virtual Server Administration Site with the Resource Allocation. Don't forget to erase any info you don't want on the Internet.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Re: Virtual Server 2005 R2 + WIN98 problem (CPU load at 100%)

Did you install the VM Additions on the VM?

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services