Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHD file keeps growing massivly beyond its limits

Hello,

I have a VHD file that is dynamic and set to max out at 30GB. The virtual machine itself recognises its got a 30GB disc and its using around 10GB of it. However the vhd file just keeps growing, it got to 66GB at one point until i shrank it but it keeps on growing.

What going on!?

Im on a Virtual Server 2005 R2 Sp1 and my other machines arent affected by this behavior

Joe

Re: VHD file keeps growing massivly beyond its limits

Hi Joe,

While I haven't seen this before, I am wondering if it has something to do with that VM. What is running in that VM? An app that runs through lots of log files or data? How about running a defrag inside the guest OS each night? Has this happened to any other VM's?

Thanks for the post!

david
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Its a dev server and its running SQL and Biztalk although its not in full use yet. In fact the dev guy is on leave so it should be doing very little other than tick over. Also the datafiles are located on separate VHD file, this one isnt growing, just the one the OS is on.

I'l try the defrag and see if that helps. Wouldnt have thought it would grow at such a pace though!

Comment

Another question: do you (or your dev guy) have set by any chance a checkpoint of the machine? Since that moment, the original disk is set to differencing and there is another disk created that holds the changes from the checkpoint on...
        This way, I started in one of my machines with a 20GB fixed disk and I have now a 35GB disk ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Dynamic disks grow as files within them change. If you make changes to the files inside the VM, the size of the dynamic disk will grow to reflect all the changes, therefore I suggest you convert it to a fixed-size disk.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X