Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Hi All,

I had configured Virtual machines on Virtual Server 2005 R2, Due to storage limitations we first turned off all the Virtual machines then moved the .vhd and .vmc files to the new location. Now when I try to start the Virtual machines I get the following error message "A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I also verified the Virtual Hard Disk Properties pointing to the new location. Any ideas how I can get the VM's to start?

Thanks

Re: A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

try booting the install OS media and repair the installation.

that would be my first thought.

back-up the virtuals before proceeding.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks James, will try out your recommendation. Just to let you know the VM is an imaged machine.

Thanks

Comment

Few questions:
        1) I presume the error message is displayed on the virtual machine's screen. Are you getting any error messages on the host too? There is a log in the administrative website, check there.
        2) how are your VHDs defined? Fixed size? Differencing?
        3) does this happen with all the VMs, or with a specific one?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Sorinso,

Thanks for your reply. Please find answers below

1) I presume the error message is displayed on the virtual machine's screen. Are you getting any error messages on the host too? There is a log in the administrative website, check there.

Error message displayed only on virtual machine, no errors on host. I checked the admin website no errors there

Differencing

3) does this happen with all the VMs, or with a specific one?
          No not all VM's

Comment

[QUOTE=mittenshah;97544]
            Differencing
            QUOTE]
            Hmmmm...
            And you copied both disks, didn't you? Anyway, the more I read on the Internet about this message, the more it seems that it is not related to VirtualServer itself.
            Just to be certain, run a defrag on the disk the VHDs reside on (defrag on the host, not VM).
            Did you do any other maintenance on the VHDs, besides copying them? Resize, maybe? If so, take a look at his article: http://wolles.dk/Resizing%20VHD.htm . It's long, and the process looks tedious and boring, but who knows? Computers act in mysterious ways

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X