Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual PC and Virtual Server on same OS

Anyone tried this before?

Since moving to Vista I find a lot of my older apps dont like it. I ws thinking of sticking Virtual PC on there with XP for a lot of my old apps. I would use Server but I need support for audio etc.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Virtual PC and Virtual Server on same OS

Geeeeeee... You're very brave, Michael
    I never thought of that. Are you planning to use them in the same time? I mean, open a virtual machine in VPC and another one in Virtual Server ...
    After all, is hard to believe that they are using any common DLLs and such, so they shouldn't interfere one with another ... There's a different story with the resources though...
    Well, it will be nice to try

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

No not at the same time.

Virtual server is going to be for my Lab and I'll use that the majority of the time. Virtual PC is just going to be used to legacy apps on an XP SP2 VM (but for some I need sound and USB support)

I'm not brave enough to try on my main PC. If no has tried this then I think I might have to

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Looks like MS supports the installation of both applications on a single computer (And apparently there are benefits of doing this as well):

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...27/432945.aspx

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Looks nice, Michael.
          But take notice that it is rather old one, it talks about VPC 2004 and the beta of VS2005 SP1... The products today are different ...
          I am ready to install it on my computer (for the sake of the science, you know ), but have to solve some fires here first (you know, work before entertainment)

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Ooooh Ooohhh let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Michael

Glad sorinso is gonna screw his machine up rather than me screw my shiny new vista machine up
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Looks like it works fine. Installed Virtual PC 2007 and it only asked me to stop the virtual server service. Stopped the service, installed VPC and then started the service again.

Both seem to work fine and now I have XP with sound

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Cooooooooool !!
                Thanks for updating... Unfortunately, I didn't manage to play with it today

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Have you had the chance to install the XP vm yet? I have some in house dev guys here that just installed vpc2007 on vista and the XPvm install hangs while reading from the cd.
                  no ideas why and I didn't have the time to research their issue so they just reinstalled the vista box with xp and used the older vpc and are now installing xp/vista vm's without any issues.
                  Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Well I installed an XP VM under Virtual Server then imported it into Virtual PC as they use the same underlined architecture and it's working fine. Perhaps the CD is faulty?

I install all my OS's on VM via .iso's

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Works like a charm. I use it for Microsoft classes where some VMs are VPC-based, while the newer ones are VS-based.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

It was strange. I have never really seen any issues with VPC myself. I used it quite extensively while testing my development of the IIS admin control panel.

I think the vista disk they used to install the parent os was an Open license upgrade disc.
                        Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Working...
                        X