Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is possible right? Share Printer through a VM

Hi,

Basically ive got a small problem in that my old printer/scanner/copier (which i once had happily running connected to my XP machine) wont work with vista. So i tried to install it on a SBS 2003 Server. Again, no full driver support. (With the quick fix SBS and Vista drivers, i can only print. Thats it - no scanning, printing preferences etc).

So, my question is, can i install VMware Server on my SBS box, get a XP guest running and install the printer to the XP guest. Then, can i share the printer, though XP, across the rest of the network?

Also, which would you recommend for this, Virtual Server or VMware? Im thinking VMware just because im more familiar with it, but am willing to try others.

Thanks for any help

Re: This is possible right? Share Printer through a VM

I think the first question you should answer is: "How is the device connecting to the computer?" Is it LPT? USB?
    If it's USB, you have to stick with VMWare, since neither VirtualPC nor Virtual Server have capabilities of maping USB devices between host and guest.
    Otherwise, both products (VMWare and Microsoft's) can map an LPT port, so you aren't supposed to have problems.
    I work with all three of them: VMWare Server, VirtualPC and VirtualServer.
    VirtualPC 2007 cannot be installed an SBS Server. Virtual Server can. I found in VMWare's forums that it can be installed on SBS too.
    So, I would say to stick to VMWare, if this is what you know. Less issues to deal with .

Hope all this helped a bit. Good luck and keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

The device connects via USB, so VMware Server it is then.

VMware server would allow me to share this printer through XP guest, over the network right?

Quick question, what do you reccomend, VMware Server v1 or v2?

I like the look of some of the new features of v2, but there seems to be a lot of complaintants about it on the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Disaster View Post
        VMware server would allow me to share this printer through XP guest, over the network right?
        I never tried it, so cannot tell you for sure. There's only one way to find out: try it
        Originally posted by Major_Disaster View Post
        Quick question, what do you reccomend, VMware Server v1 or v2?
        VMWare Server 2.0 is in Beta stages, so I would stick to 1.0.4, the latest production version.
        Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

OK thanks for the help.

VMware Server 1.04 it is then!

Comment

Cool.
            It will be nice if you will let us know the results... For the sake of the future generations, you know

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X