Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtualpc network on a server

hello!

i have a networking problem with virtualpc 2004 sp1 (i have to use the old version, since vpc2007 doesnt support win2000 as host os anymore).
    i tryed to fix this problem by browsing google and other forums/sites for very long, but no luck.

i simply want to get the winxp-guest in virtualpc to be able to get accessed from the net, in other words: i want to run a server on it.
    with "nat"-mode, i can access the internet (though upload-speed is at about 20% from the host), but not all ports i believe. the application i want to use on the guest uses ports 12975 and 32976. if i start it on the guest and make a "netstat -an" i can see the app running on the forementioned port. but if i check the hosts netstat, i can see nothing on those ports.
    the app i use is called hamachi and is a zero-configuration vpn-client. it is connected while opened, but only in a non-direct mode (relayed) - can be compared to skypes "relayed connection" or edonkey/emules "low-ip"-mode.

before using virtual pc, i used another great virtualization freeware called "virtual box" - in this, the user had the possibility to forward the ports you need to the virtual machine - is there any such option in virtual pc? i think not....but how can i forward ports in nat-mode then?

the host is connected to internet via lan (default gateway). all howto's and manuals always talk about, how to connect your virtual machine with "internet connection sharing", but since my server doesnt access the net in that way, this is not an option.
    on another place, after much searching, i found another "solution" by using a port-redirector app called "FPipe", which should be used to forward the desired ports to the virtual machine. did not work either.
    i also played around with the "loopback-adapter" but this only enabled me to access the host itself - not the net.
    i am also aware of the fact that one could use multiple NICs in a virtual machine, but currently this would enable me "only" to connect to the host itself, and use the net via NAT, which leads to the "relayed"-connection problem.

so my real question is: how can i access the "server-app" running on virtual-pc, which itself sits on a server who connects to the net via gateway, in direct, non-relayed mode? i have no idea!
    i dont believe i am the only one who trys to run a server on virtual pc which should be accessible from outside. how do datacenters solve this problem, who rent thousends vserver-accounts each month - some of their customers will probably want to run a server-application on them...

im glad about any help!

thanks

Re: virtualpc network on a server

Is there any particular reason you work with NAT, instead of connecting the VM's NIC to the hosts' real card? It might that connecting the NIC directly will solve you the problem...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

well, actually there is such a reason, yes, but im unsure if its really such a problem like i think.

the problem of connecting the vpc to the hosts nic, is that it then might be visible for every machine outside the host and as i said, the host is a server in a datacenter and every machine there got a real web-ip configured to their nics. i dont know, if it might interfere with the other services than run on the host (this MUST not happen) and i also dont want any admin other than me to see the virtual machine. i am the real admin of this box, i am not using some hackend stuff, but i think it could "maybe" be a problem if our hosting company finds out that i run vservers on our root-server (they could interfere with real servers there).

but i will try that too, if everything else doesnt work.
      actually i did just that when i was testing the virtual machine at my home pc with my dsl-connection. it worked fine - but: i had to enter a lan-ip from my home-net for this to work. but on the server there are no 192.168.x.x IPs, there are real IPs like 89.43.183.12 and a default gateway with a value like 89.43.183.1 or something like that.

will there be any interferences if i put some ip of this form into the vservers nic, eg. other machines in the network that REALLY have this ip? i think this would lead to an error, winxp telling me that such an ip-adress already exists. and of course, also on the other server who owns this ip will pop up such a message.

Comment

Even when talking about virtual machines, you are not allowed to have duplicate IP addresses on the same network.
        Anyway, reading the VPC help I found something that makes me think what you're trying to achieve is not possible:
        A virtual machine configured to use Shared Networking acts like a computer behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) router. Shared networking does not support inbound port mapping. External computers are unable to access a server running in the virtual machine or any ports on the virtual machine. Shared networking also does not support networking between virtual machines or from the host operating system to the virtual machine.
        You can find this in VirtualPC's Help file, under Concepts -> Administering VirtualPC -> Managing Network Connections -> Managing shared networking for virtual machine.
        I use at home (from where I got this info) the same version you use...
        I hope this helped a bit...
        Last edited by sorinso; 6th February 2008, 20:22. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

thanks for trying to help me and for answering!

i read this text yesterday too, but not inside the vpc docs but on the microsoft page. actually this is telling me "only" that its not possible to run a server on the virtual machine in nat-mode. but on other vm's this IS possible, like in virtual box, where you have the possibility to forward ports to the guest - incredible for me to learn, that this shouldnt be possible with virtual pc. this is basically the same function that most dsl-routers offer.

so, as there is no way to get it working in nat-mode - what are my options?
          can i use loopback adapter somehow? or can i simply enter a ip in the guest that matches the host networks style? can this interfere with existing real machines and running services on the host?

Comment

I think it shouldn't be any problem of giving the VM a real IP, that only will know it.
            Don't add the VM to the domain, so it won't show in the ADUC . And don't add it to the DNS.
            How many computers will access the application on the VM? If there's a limited number of stations, you can use their HOSTS file to solve the DNS resolving issue.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              I think it shouldn't be any problem of giving the VM a real IP, that only will know it.
              thats the point: does really only the host and guest know about this ip or is it visible in the whole network? i thought so....

Don't add the VM to the domain, so it won't show in the ADUC . And don't add it to the DNS.
              hmm, i dont have much knowledge on this matter (active directories etc.), i had never any need to use something like this. if there is something like that in the network, then i have no access to it anyway, as this is controlled by the hosting company.
              and adding it to dns...do you mean entering a dns-server ip in the dns-server field in tcp/ip-settings? i didnt plan that, i only wanted to enter the default gateway.

How many computers will access the application on the VM? If there's a limited number of stations, you can use their HOSTS file to solve the DNS resolving issue.
              i cant really tell, its not a closed user group. so i cant use the hosts-file. but even if i could, i would need to enter a working ip-adress into the hosts-file, i think. and if its already having a working ip, there would be no need to tamper the hosts-file.

the worst thing that could happen is i enter a real ip in the virtual machine and some other real machine gets unavailable through this...or my host-server gets unavailable.

Comment

Working...
              X