Cannot Load Win98 in Virtual PC 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Load Win98 in Virtual PC 2007

Please someone help me! Just bought a computer for the kids and of course, hardly any of the games work in Vista...

Hence, I loaded Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and I cannot get Win98 to load. I have a Win98 CD (Upgrade).

Things I have tried:

On reset of virtual machine, pressed delete and changed boot sequence to CDRom, HardDisk, Floppy

Attach physical drive and then reset virtual machine.

Deleted network drive (I don't have any networks)

Made a cd-rom of dos622.exe
    made a cd-rom of boot98.exe
    made an iso image of my Win98 cd and tried to capture

No matter what cd I put into the drive and no matter what I press or how many times I reset, I still keep getting the following message...

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device....

I am about ready to pull my hair out

I would be very grateful for any help.
    Sincerely,
    Valerie

Re: Cannot Load Win98 in Virtual PC 2007

you will need a proper boot disk to begin installing anything. the dos exe's arent going to boot by themselves... you need something with a bootstrap loader before the exe's will function.

i would suggest the following site to procure a boot disk...
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    (choose the one with CD-ROM support)

once you have the floppy loaded with the boot material, you should be able to boot and at least use fdisk to create a partition...

now, the CD you have is a win98 UPGRADE... so you need to ask yourself, 'what will i be upgrading' because that is important when you have an UPGRADE copy. in your situation, you dont have anything to upgrade. that is a problem...

you need a full version to install to a fresh partition. the only way you can use your disk is to either:
    install windows 3.x and upgrade it to 98SE...
    OR
    install windows 95 and upgrade it.

if you dont have either, then maybe you have a copy of 2000. that will work...

until then, i cant help you anymore.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

An upgrade version of a Microsoft Operating System has its limitations.
      Quote from Windows 98 FAQs :
      You can use the Windows 98 Upgrade package to upgrade Windows version 3.1x, Windows for Workgroups version 3.1x, or Windows 95 or later to Windows 98. If Windows 3.1x, Windows for Workgroups 3.1x, or Windows 95 is not currently installed, the Windows 98 Upgrade Setup program will allow you to install Windows 98 if you can provide the disks or CD-ROM from a previous version of Windows to confirm your eligibility for the upgrade. Because the Windows 98 Upgrade package does not include a bootable floppy disk, you must be able to boot from the computer's hard disk to install the Windows 98 Upgrade.
      Notice Windows 2000 is not an eligible upgrade path.
      Another thing I would check is the configuration of the CD drive in the virtual machine. Is it set to the physical device?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        Notice Windows 2000 is not an eligible upgrade path.
        im sorry for the confusion. i didnt mean to upgrade an installation of 2000, i meant to install win2K instead of 98 altogether.

my bad.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I just dug through all of my cd's, diskettes, etc., and I did find a "Microsoft Windows 98 Boot Disk" (1.44 diskette) that has files on it that I was able to read. Is this the operating system? Or just a boot diskette. Would I be able to use this and then insert my upgrade copy?

The new computer does not have a diskette drive.

I looked on bootdisk.com last night, and I did copy the Windows98 OEM (win98.exe) and copied it onto a DVD, but that didn't work (as stated previously).

James said: i would suggest the following site to procure a boot disk...
          http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
          (choose the one with CD-ROM support)

Are you talking about the one that says:
          NTFS Bootdisks And Bootable CDs

When I click on that it takes me to Method1 and Method2 which I guess I can try, but want to make sure that is what he is talking about, and not what I previously have already tried.

If the Win98 Upgrade won't work with the Win98 bootdisk, then I gave away a copy that will be returned to me on Sunday (Windows 98 full version cd). The computer it was on was thrown away...

Thank you sooooo much for your quick replies.

Valerie

Comment

Hi.
            First, are you sure installing an Win98 virtual machine is the best solution? Are the games that old? Maybe XP will be enough?
            Are you talking about the one that says: NTFS Bootdisks And Bootable CDs
            No, you will need those when you have a disk formatted in NTFS, and you want it to be available from a DOS boot.
            If the Win98 Upgrade won't work with the Win98 bootdisk, then I gave away a copy that will be returned to me on Sunday
            I would wait for that. If this disk is bootable, it will be the only thing you need. Boot the virtual machine while the Win98 Full Version CD is in the drive and set the VM BIOS to boot from it. If the disk is not bootable, you will may need the floppy you found earlier.

The new computer does not have a diskette drive
            Well, that is not necessary. While working with VirtualPC, you can mount images into floppy or CD drives. Such images are files with extensions like DSK or IMG. There are a lot of applications that build such files out of diskettes. Two of them are FloppyImage from Towodo Software and WinACE.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Yes, most of the games are older such as JumpStart, Oregon trail, Carmen Sandiego, etc... and I don't have a valid copy of Windows XP - Just the recovery disks for my current computer. I only have a valid copy of win98.

Since almost all of the games will run under win98, I figure that would be the best install unless I purchase a copy of winxp which is quite expensive.... I have probably 50-75 games. If I remember correctly, that was the last operating system on their old computer that they used to play all the games on.

Right now, food and gas for the auto is more important than an os !!!

I will wait till Sunday and keep you posted. Thank you again for your time.
              I sincerely appreciate the time you have given me.

Valerie

Comment

Cool.
                You are right about not buying XP. Even if you did have the money for it, I wouldn't suggest that. It will be a waste, if you already have the Win98 and this way or another you will install another OS in a virtual machine.
                Good luck.
                We're here to assist. Have a great weekend !

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Looks like this is a late reply, however I'll post great information.

If you want older DOS based games to run in newer windows operating systems, check out dosbox at www.dosbox.com

Comment

Thank you, RR5.
                    Although your post does not solves the OP's problem, it provides an alternative solution.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I just read the posts.

The OP has an upgrade CD for Windows 98. That would mean the OP would have to install Win 3.1 or Windows 95 to then upgrade to Windows 98.

The Windows 98 cd-rom is bootable.

Before booting to the Windows 98 cd-rom, obtain a bootable ISO that contains FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

That page as a DOS 6.22 bootable ISO. Using Virtual PC, capture that ISO and boot the virtual machine. Using FDISK, partition the hard disk then use FORMAT to format the partition. Next, boot using the Windows 98 CD-ROM and install the operating system.

Comment

DO NOT boot from the Windows 98 CD ROM disk. All it will do is partition and format your HDD.

You can create an ISO image of the Win98 floppy boot disk and use Virtual PC to mount it as a floppy drive.

Be prepared to be disappointed with the games. I did the same as you to play an old favourite and put a load of old DOS games onto my daughter's laptop and so far I haven't gotten one of them to work. I did however get an old Celeron 400, 64MB RAM and a 2GB HDD and plonk them all on to that. Old motherboard had 16bit ISA slots so I could install the lovely old genuine Soundblaster 16. All games run nice and DOS boot really fast as well.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Where does it say it will partition and format?

Boot using the Windows 98 CD-ROM (After using a boot disk with FDISK and FORMAT to prepare the partition and format it for use.) Start the computer with CD-ROM support. Make the directory 98Setup on Drive C: (type C: <enter> then type MD 98SETUP <enter>.) Now you have a directory/folder on Drive C: called 98Setup, then switch to the CD-ROM drive, change to the win98 folder and copy that whole directory to your C:\98Setup directory/folder.

Once the files copy, start the virtual machine with the CD-ROM again and boot using NO CD ROM SUPPORT. Then change to C:\98Setup and type setup /ie /iv /is and off you go.

Comment

Upload the images to this site (so I don't get bombarded by advertising crap from imageshack) in a NEW thread so as not to take vstopp's thread .

Remember, new thread if you wish to discuss this further.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you tried the compatibility mode for Win98 in Vista???

Comment

Working...
                              X