X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC separation between host and machine

Hi, guys.
    Scenario:
    I have an HP DL360G5 server, 2 QuadCore CPUs and 8GB memory. It has integrated two NICs: one 10/100 and another 10/100/1000.
    I am planning to install 2 or 3 virtual machines on the server, using Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1. The host runs Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit, the machines are Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit.
    I need a way to separate the network traffic between the host and the VMs. I want that the host will use only the 10/100 port and the VMs will use only the 10/100/1000 one.
    It was easy to confine the VMs to the 1000 port, I disabled Virtual Machine Network Services. The VM even don't know there is another port...
    But how do I confine the host to use only the 100 port? The host and the VMs should be on the same subnet.

Any ideas, guys?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Re: NIC separation between host and machine

How about assigning a lower metric to the NIC you want to use and the highest possible metric to the one you don't want used. I know this still leaves the NIC available but it is a start and it might trigger an idea with someone else.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You can enable the host computer to remove all bindings (client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP etc.) except the virtual machine network binding to the physical network adapter. The host computer then becomes invisible to the rest of the network while the hosted VMs continue to function normally.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

10nx, this is what I had in mind, just wanted to be sure that isn't any more clever solution...

News Flash: it worked !! 10nx, Daniel !
        See the results bellow: NIC1 is 1000 and NIC2 is 100. The two pictures show the two configurations, side by side (first upper part and then lower part).
        Notice that on NIC1, only the Virtual Machine Network Services is binded, so the VMs work with it and the host don't. Quite the opposite from the NIC2, that the VMS don't see it (because the VMNS is not binded) and the host does.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sorinso; 27th December 2007, 16:36. Reason: update...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X