Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy running virtual machine to another host.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy running virtual machine to another host.

Iím going to use Microsoft Virtual Server for one of our customer. I would like to use this solution as disaster recovery plan. My idea is to copy every night running virtual machine to second host which will be ready to go. So when first host will be down I can run virtual machine on second host and network will work. Two questions:

1. How can I copy running virtual machine to second server to get is ready to go? I mean that I donít want manually restore it from backup using for example Acronis. It must be ready to go after copy.
    2. Iím going to buy Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SA in Open License system. In this case can I use the some system on second machine only for disaster recovery? So it will be in use only when main server will be down.

I would be very grateful for any advice how to do this.

Thanks

Re: Copy running virtual machine to another host.

For question 2, AFAIK Server 2003 Enterprise now allows you to run 1 physical and 4 virtual instances, so you could well be covered on your licensing -- I don't know if that has to be on the same hardware, though...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is the offical statement from Licensing Microsoft Server Products with Virtual Machine Technologies documentation produced by Microsoft in October 2006. The following refers to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition R2.

"Each software license allows you to run, at any one time, one instance of the server software in a physical OS environment and up to four instances of the server software in virtual OS environments on a particular server."
      Your licensing allows you to run the four virtual instances of the operating system on that particular physical server.

With Datacenter Edition any number of virtual machine instances may be installed on that particular physical server.

The following contains licensing calculator and links to other licensing information in regards to virtual machines:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...alculator.mspx

For replicating your virtual machine you could use applications such as Double-Take or Vizioncore ESX Replicator, or it would be possible to create you own script, but remember the configuration file will contain parameters specifc to your host operating system.
      Last edited by themanwhowouldbeking; 1st November 2007, 19:07.
      MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

Many thanks for your answer and especially for this script idea. I wonder one think, when I copy Microsoft virtual machine using script, the virtual server is suspended for about one minute. Is it safe because of running processes at this server in production environment (for example exchange server can do some processes on database, receive e-mails)?

Kind Regards

Comment

Can you not shutdown the virtual machine, copy the virtual machine and then power on within your script, or is your exchange server in a 24x7 environment. You should be shutting the virtual machine down to ensure integrity of the copy anyway.
          MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

Unfortunately I can't

Comment

I definately wouldn't copy your virtual machine using manual methods then. For replication I would use esxReplicator from Vizioncore as this provides replication to a remote host. You can schedule this to run on a scheduled basis.

Another idea, I have not tested this maybe other people could provide information but it could be possible to use VMWare converter converting V2V to replicate your virtual machines.

Do you have shared storage available to possibly cluster your virtual machines?
              MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

Working...
              X