Insufficient memory error displayed for Vista install [was: Memory]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insufficient memory error displayed for Vista install [was: Memory]

I wanted to install Windows Vista Ultimate inside Windows XP, but however, it says I have 408 MB, and Vista needs 512 MB. How can I change that?

Re: Memory

Install more RAM on the host operating system.

VPCSquad500, I would suggest you give your threads better titles or you will not get many, if any, replies to your questions. I shall NOT be modifying any more of them.
    Last edited by biggles77; 29th September 2007, 19:19.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Insufficient memory error displayed for Vista install [was: Memory]

Ok, thanks for reminding me.

How to edit more RAM? The maximum I can only get is 408 MB. Vista needs 512 MB.

Comment

Guest O/S = Vista
        Host O/S = XP

Originally posted by biggles77
        Install more RAM on the host operating system.
        The guest O/S takes its RAM from your host O/S. Therefore, install more RAM (you know, the hardware RAM module) onto (or into) the motherboard of the machine that is running XP. How much physical RAM do you have at present? 512MB perhaps? If you want to run a virtual environment then I would suggest 1GB as a minimum. (I have 4GB on the system I use for virtual machines.)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Tried to do that. But it stays in the maximum of 408 MB on VPC. I really want to install Vista.

I'm using Windows XP. my computer was bought a long time ago. I downloaded lots of stuff. Is this making things worse?
          Last edited by VPCSquad500; 1st October 2007, 21:16. Reason: TYPO on "says in the maximum"

Comment

[QUOTE=VPCSquad500;81897]Tried to do that. QUOTE]

Tried to do what???? How much PHYSICAL memory (RAM, SDRAM, DDR, DDR2 etc) do you have installed on your old computer?

Please provide sufficient info with your replies so we know what you are talking about.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Tried to add more RAM. it doesn't work. I have 512 MB.

Comment

What, you installed more physical memory into the motherboard, and you still only had 512Mb? Then you have either hardware issues or the RAM you installed was not compatible with your system. These days I would not contemplate running XP with less than 512Mb, and I would not bother virtualising unless I had at least 2Gb. Address your hardware issues, upgrade your RAM to at least 2Gb (preferably the maximum 4Gb) and then try your virtual machine again.

P.S. the "stuff" (???) you downloaded doesn't go into RAM, it goes onto your hard disk.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                X