Wrapping my head around the awesomness that is virtualization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapping my head around the awesomness that is virtualization

Suppose I ran a virtual server on my desktop computer for now, since I have some extra idle RAM. Later, if I bought new server hardware, could I transfer the existing server VHD to the new hardware, install Virtual Server, and start it up without making any other changes? Because that's holy-crap cool.

Re: Wrapping my head around the awesomness that is virtualization

The short answer is yes. The long answer is yes but you may have to make some minor chages like IPs depending on how you set it up.

If you want to leanrt more about VS and how to do what you asked, I can throughly recommend Train Signal's Virtual Server tutorial. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=70
    Well worth the money; the Product and the Instructor are brilliant.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Whoops! Looks like Virtual Server does not support 64-bit guest operating systems... but VMWare Server is also apparently free. Guess I'll check that out.

Comment

Well then, check out the Train Signal VMWare Tutorial. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=81
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Pearson View Post
          Whoops! Looks like Virtual Server does not support 64-bit guest operating systems... but VMWare Server is also apparently free. Guess I'll check that out.
          Windows Virtialization (codenamed Viridian) will have 64bit support.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X