Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual Server and Windows Firewall - Configuring for IIS / SQL use across two VMs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Server and Windows Firewall - Configuring for IIS / SQL use across two VMs

Hello,

I have two virtual machines:

A web server with IIS (incl. SSL) and a database server with SQL 2000.

These are both installed on a host machine and are part of the same domain as the host.

The web server needs to communicate with the database server and both need to be visible to the outside world.

Currently I can only get them to work by completely disabling Windows Firewall on the host (Windows 2003) machine.

I tend to get timeouts mainly when the firewall is enabled.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Re: Virtual Server and Windows Firewall - Configuring for IIS / SQL use across two VM

I tend to disable the windows firewall on every machines I have so I'm not sure if I will much help fixing it.

Is there not a network firewall in front of this machine, protecting it from the Internet? I think that would be easier to deal with than configuring windows firewall.

On the grander scale, these internet facing machines need to be in a DMZ to protect them from being exploited as entry points into your private LAN.

Just some thoughts...
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
    X