W2k3 Enterprise licensing and Virtual Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k3 Enterprise licensing and Virtual Server

I know its possible to buy w2k3 Enterprise and be fully licensed for 4 virtual guests.

Does this mean to run 8 on 1 virtual server host I can buy 2 Enterprise or do i have to have 2 virtual hosts to be fully licensed.

Cheers
    John

Re: W2k3 Enterprise licensing and Virtual Server

Hi John

When MS allows you to run 4 copies of Windows Server (Standard), virtualized, under Windows Enterprise, that means that if you go over that, you just have to start buying Windows Server (Standard) licenses for every new Windows virtual server you start up on that host, just as if you were running virtual server on a Windows 2003 Server (standard) host to being with.

For further clarification I would recommend talking with MS Licensing as you cannot take anyone's word on this "to the bank" except for them. And even then- make sure you get it in writing.
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

does the 4 licence count if host os is 2k3server std but use vmware server to virtualise the 3 virtual instances?

Comment

Hi John

If you use Windows Server standard, you are back to regular licensing where you need 1 license for the host and 1 for each guest.

Here is a Microsoft Virtualization Licensing Whitepaper that probably explains everything you wanted to know about this topic, and more.

Thanks,
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
        X