Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

virtual server host not supposed to run any programs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtual server host not supposed to run any programs?

I want to run MS Virtual Server 2005 on Server 2003 and run 2 guest OS's on it.
    The guests will be a file and IIS server.
    I also want to run a SQL server on the host itself but I read a kb article saying the host running Virtual Server shouldn't be running any programs. So this means the host shouldn't be used for anything other then running virtual guests?
    Does this apply to VMware as well?

Thanks!

Re: virtual server host not supposed to run any programs?

Do you have a link to the MS article? It may mean not to run any apps on the host since it will take away resources that VS could use. Will need to read the article to confim my suspicions.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think biggles is correct - They obviously advise against it as it will be taking resources away from the VM's and more things can go wrong.

I run VS on an XP desktop with 3 - 4 VM's and my XP desktop is my main machines which I use i.e. web access, mail, Photoshop etc. Obviously there are times when my VM's run slow but this is something I can deal with. If this is for a prod environment then I would try and keep the host VM as clean as possible (I.e. dont install any other apps that could cause issues with the VM's)

Hope this helps

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Here's the kb article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903748

Do not run other programs on the computer that runs Virtual Server 2005
        We recommend that you do not run other programs on the computer that runs Virtual Server 2005. Another program may compete with Virtual Server 2005 for resources. Therefore, Virtual Server 2005 might not have sufficient resources. This problem could affect all the running virtual machines. Although sometimes you must run other programs or services on the Virtual Server 2005 host computer, such as when you must run a program that cannot run in a virtual environment, we recommend that you avoid this practice.

So I shouldn't be running SQL server on the host but instead create another guest and run it there? I was thinking it'd me more resource efficient to have the host be runnning SQL than to create another guest and have the host do nothing other than running virtual server software.

Comment

Originally posted by croku99 View Post

So I shouldn't be running SQL server on the host but instead create another guest and run it there?
          That would be my suggestion.

You could also back up the VM everynight and if anything happens to the SQL server it will be easier to restore via a VM than if it were on the physical host.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X