Cursor disappearing when in text body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursor disappearing when in text body

Today I had a question from a user using VPC 2007 on Vista Business laptop (with 2GB of RAM). The VM was running Windows Server 2003 SP1 with 1000 MB of memory (I told her to change it to 1024, just in case). Latest VM Additions are installed (I told her to re-install them, just in case).

She runs SQL server in the VM, and has a strange issue with the mouse pointer disappearing whenever it is placed above any TEXT box, be it a SQL query, be it in Notepad, or any other text editing option. She can type but she does not see where the cursor is placed. When she moves the cursor away to any non-text window (or to the desktop), the mouse arrow re-appears.

Any ideas?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Cursor disappearing when in text body

d00d... similar with vm on my esx. i can never see where the cursor is going to go. i have to type a little and see, then adjust accordingly.

so it isnt just me.. and this whole time i was just blowing it off.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Just a weird thought, does enabling Mouse Trails change this?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'll try, although I don't think it has anything to do with it.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

How about changing the cursor blink rate, it could be in perfect sync with the refresh rate.
          Just a thought.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
            I'll try, although I don't think it has anything to do with it.
            I agree. I am just thinking that it might change the mouse dynamic and so change the cause. Just like Lior_S idea.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Will try next week. Thanks.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Just a weird thought, does enabling Mouse Trails change this?
                Mouse trails did it, although it's quite annoying. Thanks.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I bet I am as surprised as you this worked. Hope you took credit with the fix so the client was suitably impressed!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I found the following excerpt at http://conorcahill.blogspot.com/2007...ps-tricks.html. Although it cites XP, it worked fine with the Vmware Server client on Vista.
                    Text input cursor icon disappears in Win XP guest
                    In my windows XP guest, the standard I-Beam text input mouse cursor icon (the one that is used when the mouse is over a text input field such as a field entry, or an edit box) would not show up. I would be left without an indication of where my cursor was. At first, with just editing some forms, this was just an annoyance, but later, when I went to edit a document or an email message, it was downright painful.

I first tried fixing this by changing the cursor icon. This worked in some cases, but left the most important (editing docs/emails) still broken. Some more searching (and this took a bit of work) and I found the right article in VMWare's forum which included:

In the guest, try dropping the display hardware acceleration down a notch.
                    Start->Settings->Control Panel->Display
                    Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot->Hardware acceleration

Note that there's also a "Troubleshoot" button on the Settings Tab. This isn't the one, you want to use the Advanced button and then go to the Troubleshoot tab.

For me, dropping it down one notch (to turn off some of the acceleration of the cursor operations) was all that was needed.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                      X