Virtual PC not networking between virtual machine clones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual PC not networking between virtual machine clones

I've got a few machines on Virtual PC, copies of one base installed template, all running XP Pro.

I moved one of these virtual machines to another box, and now that virtual machine cannot talk to any other virtual machine on the original box, or the original host itself.

Any ideas why this is?

Re: Virtual PC not networking between virtual machine clones

Not sure about VPC, but if you move an image in VMWare the wizard will pop up asking for the new path and if it was the original image you created.

Where is the other machine?

If I get chance later I will start up VPC and try it for you.

Comment

Just installed Virtual PC and then booted up PC, had a problem with the internet connection failing and found this site:
      http://support.microsoft.com/search/...irtual+PC&adv=
      Its the Microsoft knowledge base, but it sorted out my problems, hopefully it will answer yours.
      PS I am amazed at how responsive XP is, it was never that fast as my normal OS.

Comment

unfortunately that didn't help, virtual pc 2007 network only got 7 hits, none of them related. Without the 2007 keyword, the network articles were all out of date, those options no longer exist as they are printed.

I have no problem networking the guest OSs. The problem is talking to the machine I created the guest OS on and the other VMs that are still on that guest machine, but both the moved VM and the original host and it's VMs can talk to everything else on the network except each other!

Comment

Hmm, this is strange.

What if you create a new VM on the new host - can it communicate with the old host and the old VM's?

What about at the "ping" level - can the copied host ping the original host or original guest VM's?
          David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
          Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
          TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
          Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

yes this is strange.

all the testing I have been doing so far is pings because I noticed that everything else was failing.

I can ping anything on the network from the moved VM except the original host and any vms on the original host.

I can ping anything on the network from the original host and it's VMs except the moved VM now living on the new host.

so they can all ping everything except each other. I know this is because they are clone VMs and it originated on the other host, but I don't understand why it is working this way.

Comment

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have to ask-

Are the IP addresses between the old and new/cloned systems different? Were they static or dynamic IP's?

Thanks,

Comment

yes the IPs are different and they are static.

This has been like this for days, no dhcp involved. They all have valid addresses and can network with any other systems.

I even forced a change of the mac addresses by removing the networking interface and then adding it new on the moved VM to try to get it talking to the old host again.

Comment

Hi humbletech99,
                  Did you ever have any luck resolving this strange issue you were having with Virtual Server?
                  Just curious....
                  Thanks,

Comment

no. I've tried deleting and recreating the network card, verified I got a new Mac, still nothing.

This defies all networking theory that I have known for years.

I blame Virtual PC.

Comment

Hi there,

Okay, I will join with you in blaming virtual PC since I can't seem to think of any possible cause for this.

Anyone else care to take a stab at this?

Maybe you should use VMware converter and convert them to VMware Server to see if it is resolved...?? Just a thought...

All the Best to you,

Comment

I must say I've never had any issues with cloning machines, either with Sysprep or without.

So, I'd like to hear what you came up with as well.
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi, humbletech99.
                          When you're pinging, are you using IPs, or names? Maybe it's a name resolving issue....
                          Another thing I would try is tracert, in both directions.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X