Office Professional 2007, Access, Office 2008 for Mac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Professional 2007, Access, Office 2008 for Mac

I am both new to computers and Mac. I am confused about the best way to use Virtual PC7 in my situation. Which is: I am going back to college in the fall after 30 yrs. in construction to work towards an accounting degree. I will need to use Access and Office 2007 throughout my studies. I have a 2.1 GHz PowerPC G5, 2.5 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive.

The Quesion Is - What is the best approach to using Access and Office 2007?

Example 1: Use Virtual PC with XP Pro SP2 and Office Professional 2007 which includes Access?

OR

Example 2: Use Office 2008 for Mac (Which does not include Access) when it comes out and use Virtual PC7 with XP Pro SP2 with stand alone Access 2007?

Or

Example 3: Buy an intel iMac or MacBook Pro which which would be financially harder to do but would probably run Office Professional 2007 better.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Dozer

Re: Office Professional 2007, Access, Office 2008 for Mac

Does Virtual PC run on the Mac? I thought it was a Wintel compatible product.

Personally, if it is available for the Mac, I would try Virtual PC with XP Pro SP2 and Office 2007 Professional (inc Access). If it doesn't work or performance is too poor then you can make a decision whether to (a) upgrade your Mac or (b) buy a PC so that you can have both he Mac for what you're used to and the PC for your studying.

Personally if it were me (and Virtual PC on the current Mac was no good) I would go for option (b) - a PC will be FAR cheaper than a shiny new Mac (for one which can easily run Office Pro 2007) and I'm assuming your current Mac is well within its limits for everything ELSE you do with it.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

How about using Apple Boot Camp to dual boot between MacOS and WinXP?

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You have two virtualization option 1. Virtual PC (Free) 2. VMWare PC Fusion (39.99 - 79.99)

Virtual PC runs on power pc, it doesn't runs on iMacs... if it works for you than its your option. However with virtualization products I still think Microsoft is a too small fish to swim in deep waters where VMWare sharks live. If you don't get great performance you want you might want to try VMWare Fusion..

Virtual PC for Mac can be found at
        http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=virtualpc

VMWare Fusion is in beta right now - final release is expected in August of 2007. You can find out more about it at...

http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/faqs.html#c6643
        Last edited by jigans; 25th June 2007, 02:38.

Comment

Virtual PC runs on iMacs but it is slow. If you are going to be doing a degree and using the applications mentioned, get a laptop and remove any bottlenecks by not using Virtual.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Parallels Desktop for Mac is actually really nice

We will see how VMware's new competing program, Fusion, will take it on. I'm not sure why they didn't call Fusion just VMware Workstation for Mac...

That's my two cents...
            David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
            Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
            TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
            Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
            X