Virual Test Domain Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virual Test Domain Setup

Sorry if this has been posted before but I did look and didn't see anything.

What I want to be able to do is setup a virtual test environment for my company on my computer. I have just bought a new PC that has 4 megs of ram running two dual core processors on a 63 bit platform. I know that I have enough computer to do this my problem is that I keep getting stuck.

I have setup two virtual server (2003 r2) I want them to be on a private network so that it doesn't effect anything on the live domain. I have set the NIC control to private with a 255.255.255.0 sub-net. This seems to work just fine in being that I can't ping the live domain but I have no Internet access. I'm not sure on how to set this up so that the test domain is dose nothing to interfere with the live domain, but I need the test domain to have Internet access.

The computer that I'm setting this all up on only has one NIC card. I was reading something about a loop-back network adapter but couldn't get that to work either. Not sure if that should have been setup on the host PC or the guest PC??

If anyone has done please let me know how I can get this setup and working without interfering with the live domain.

Thanks,
    Joey

Re: Virual Test Domain Setup

To start with you will need a bit more than 4 megs of RAM and I think you were short changed on your processors by 1 bit.

How have you set up Server 2003 R2 in the Virtual? Member servers or DC? Have you set a default gateway? Post back with a lot more info and we will see if it can get sorted.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ditto what Biggles77 says.

Plus a better understanding of IP would be good.
      Have a read http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/infra..._US/501302.pdf

This is the way I setup my test environment

-Installed a loopback adapter
      -Installed RRAS on the host machine and configured it to route between the physical and loopback
      -Have all VSes connect to loopback on their own subnet.

In your situation you can enable and configure the firewall to drop all packets destined for the production network except if it's heading to the Internet gateway.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry for the confusions on the computer just a big typo on my part. The computer that I am using is a Dell Precision 490 with 4 Gigs of ram and two dual core 2.0 processors running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

I have installed and setup a virtual (windows 2003 r2) on Windows Server. My main point in this hole setup is to have a test domain that is not accessible to any part of the real domain. What I did was try the use the private network setup. I used a 192.168.xx.xx on a 255.255.255.0 sub-net. This worked great except that I could not get Internet access. So I thought that I read so stuff on loop back adapters that would allow you to have Internet going to your virtual test domain. I just can't seem to get this working right.

The host computer is using a 10.0.xx.xxx on 255.255.255.0 sub-net. I have only one NIC card. Like I said this test setup has to be completely separate from the from the live domain.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
        Joey

Comment

Is it possible to put a second NIC in? I can get a new RTL8139 for AUD$4.50 now. That I think will be the easiest way.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I was trying to avoid doing that. That what I was hopping that the loop back adapter would do for me. But if that's the only way that I can get this to work then that's what I might have to do.

Thanks,
            Joey

Comment

Joey, from the sound of your posts it seems to me that you need a better understanding of IP addressing and routing. We talking about some basic stuff here like that fact that you need a route to the Internet if the test environment is going to connect to it.

Maybe if you post your network topology we could tell you exactly how to set it up so that it's isolated from your production environment.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

...also, a "loopback adapter" is a software entity which connects the outlet of the computer's network card back in on itself electronically. It's not a piece of hardware.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Any suggestions on routing a private IP range? Second NIC sounds like the easier setup for now AND the future. If you put in one add another while you are at it.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Virtual Test Domain Setup

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Any suggestions on routing a private IP range?
                    The same way you do other routing? There shouldn't be any issue if the host, acting as a router, has it's default route pointing to a router that's performing PAT or NAT.
                    Second NIC sounds like the easier setup for now AND the future. If you put in one add another while you are at it.
                    The issue would still be getting a route to the Internet. Are you thinking Joey would connect the second NIC directly to the Internet?
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: Virtual Test Domain Setup

OK I have gotten really lost on this now. Maybe if I give you some more current network information maybe this will help in fixing my problem.

Right now the host computer has one network card. It's a DHCP client with an 10.0.1.XX IP address. The subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the default Gateway is 10.0.1.1. The guest (virtual server 2003 r2) is on a internal network setup on the administration server site. I have change the setting on this network card setup to:
                      Virtual DHCP server Enabled
                      Network address: 192.168.1.0
                      Network mask: 255.255.255.0
                      Starting IP address: 192.168.25.16
                      Ending IP address: 192.168.25.254
                      Virtual DHCP server address: 192.168.25.1
                      Default gateway address: 192.168.25.1

When I boot the the virtual guest system it dose have an IP address of 192.168.25.16 which is fine by me. It looks like it cannot communicate with the live domain which is what I want. I just need to be able to use this setup plus get to the Internet.

I have tried to setup the look back adapter but really don't know much that. If I try to create an Network setup on the server administration site and run the virtual server I get the same problem.

Sorry for all the trouble and confusion and thanks for everyone's help on this. If anymore informaiton is need please let me know.

Joey

Comment

OK, got a few questions.
                        -What are/were you expecting the loopback to do?
                        -Can you post a diagram of your network? Even something simple from paint or a scanned drawing or something? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_diagram
                        -do you know how routing works?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK lets hope this help. My understanding of routing and IP setup is very little. I do know some of the simple stuff but this is way over my head. Hopefully this drawing will help you out some in understanding in what I'm try to do.

As for the look back I really don't know what I was going to do with it. I just thought I read somewhere that this is something that you had to use.

I hope this drawing helps if you need more please let me know.

Thanks,
                          Joey
                          Attached Files

Comment

OK.
                            You should be able to install RRAS on the host OS and configure it as a router. http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5844624.html

To isolate the VSes from the production environment you should configure RRAS to block traffic to the 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 network except for 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.255
                            http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

You also should read that link that I posted earlier and maybe this http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router.htm/printable
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK I thought that this is where I should be heading. The only problem that I have is trying to configuring RRAS on Vista. I can see that I can start the service under Administration Tools/Services but it's not listed in the Administrator Tools after starting the service like it should be. Can this be configured in Vista or XP?

I thought that I have read that you could only configure it in windows server 2000 and 2003 systems.

The host system on that drawing is a PC running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

Thanks,
                              Joey

Comment

Working...
                              X