Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMRCPlus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VMRCPlus?

    Does anyone know where I can get my hands on that little gem?
    Cheers,

    Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

  • #2
    Re: VMRCPlus?

    its MFST tool supposedly, but there are copies floating around.

    is it specifically the VMRCPlus you were interested in, or do you already have VMRC?

    VMRCPlus has a few quarks with it but functions *about* the same as VMRC.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: VMRCPlus?

      I'm interested in the VMRCplus itself. I saw it in some demo, it looked pretty nice. Do you "happen" to know where one might be able to stumble on is?
      Cheers,

      Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: VMRCPlus?

        I'm taking it comes w/ Virtual PC 2007 ???:

        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
        Cheers,

        Rick

        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

        2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: VMRCPlus?

          Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          I'm taking it comes w/ Virtual PC 2007 ???:

          http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx


          After reading a bit, I believe this only works with the Virtual Server product line... and VRMCPlus is way better than the released version of VMRC - which allows you to do almost nothing. It's basically a way to enter a url to the virtual server so you can connect to it - that's it - so it's not too difficult to improve on it. VRMCPlus basically lets you do many of the administrative tasks that would otherwise be restricted to the virtual server website. This is especially nice for those of us who don't want to run IIS just so you can use virtual server. I found some screenshots, and it looks like the application is using com interop dlls which likely part of a dev kit for VS and expose a great deal of functionality - similar to the com interop dlls for sql server.

          Anyway... Good luck finding it, I couldn't.

          These were the best I could find... [translated from Chinese]
          http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
          Last edited by ahinson; 28th February 2007, 05:07.
          Andrew

          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: VMRCPlus?

            Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            I'm taking it comes w/ Virtual PC 2007 ???:

            http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

            No it doesn't Rick, not as far as I can tell (I've got VPC 2007 installed on my machine).
            Cheers,

            Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: VMRCPlus?

              Originally posted by ahinson View Post


              After reading a bit, I believe this only works with the Virtual Server product line... and VRMCPlus is way better than the released version of VMRC - which allows you to do almost nothing. It's basically a way to enter a url to the virtual server so you can connect to it - that's it - so it's not too difficult to improve on it. VRMCPlus basically lets you do many of the administrative tasks that would otherwise be restricted to the virtual server website. This is especially nice for those of us who don't want to run IIS just so you can use virtual server. I found some screenshots, and it looks like the application is using com interop dlls which likely part of a dev kit for VS and expose a great deal of functionality - similar to the com interop dlls for sql server.
              Exactly! It looked great on the demo, and I couldn't find anything except for those Chinese pages. I'll ask at Microsoft.

              Thanks for the help.
              Cheers,

              Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: VMRCPlus?

                VMRCPlus is a Virtual Server management tool. It is currently Microsoft only but there are plans to release it to the public.
                It is a Windows application that enables you to both manage Virtual Server and connect to guests (virtual machines) from within the same application.

                So you don't need IIS for Virtual Server management. That can all be done from VMRCPlus (which VMRC cannot). But you can also connect to the guests on each Virtual Server host and have the consoles in one TABbed window. There is a lot in the tool that reflects what vswebapp (Virtual Server Administration website) can do. But there is more, much more and because it is a Windows application it is easy to use.

                To compare with VMRC: it connects to many hosts and can do management of Virtual Server.
                To compare with Virtual PC 2007: it displays more info in the UI, it manages multiple hosts.

                It is easy to use for lab environments, your own test machine, etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: VMRCPlus?

                  So...

                  You replied to a thread that is 3 months old to restate something that was already mentioned in previous posts. Okay... Why?


                  Originally posted by MartyM View Post
                  VMRCPlus is a Virtual Server management tool. It is currently Microsoft only but there are plans to release it to the public.
                  It is a Windows application that enables you to both manage Virtual Server and connect to guests (virtual machines) from within the same application.

                  So you don't need IIS for Virtual Server management. That can all be done from VMRCPlus (which VMRC cannot). But you can also connect to the guests on each Virtual Server host and have the consoles in one TABbed window. There is a lot in the tool that reflects what vswebapp (Virtual Server Administration website) can do. But there is more, much more and because it is a Windows application it is easy to use.

                  To compare with VMRC: it connects to many hosts and can do management of Virtual Server.
                  To compare with Virtual PC 2007: it displays more info in the UI, it manages multiple hosts.

                  It is easy to use for lab environments, your own test machine, etc.
                  Andrew

                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: VMRCPlus?

                    To clear up inconsistencies in previous posts and to update the status of plans with the tool.
                    It circulates on the Internet but people may wonder what it is and if it is to be trusted.
                    This thread was one of the few that discussed it so I thought to update it with current information.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: VMRCPlus?

                      Well if it circulates on the internet what about giving us a working link? Huh?
                      Cheers,

                      Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: VMRCPlus?

                        I had this big long reply typed up but I didn't want to get banned and realized I could sum it all up with this:
                        Attached Files
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: VMRCPlus?

                          Ok, I got it (thanks *you know who*!). My first impression?

                          It doesn't work on 64-bit Windows Server 2003. And that's what I have right now, so I guess I'll have to drop it for now.

                          Cheers,

                          Daniel Petri
                          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: VMRCPlus?

                            Oh oh, another leaking BETA product scandal tied to an MVP like Microsoft had a few weeks ago?
                            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: VMRCPlus?

                              No, it's not a scandal and it's not a leak. Rest assured. As for *that* leak, well, some people just can't keep their mouth shut.
                              Cheers,

                              Daniel Petri
                              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X