Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Run Linux in Windows

Hi Friends,

Is there any version of VM ware is available from which i can put any bootable cd my cd drive and i can run linux from my machine from my windows system ....

John

Re: How to Run Linux in Windows

????

Do you want to run Linux off a bootable CD? If so: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=LIVE+LINUX+cd

Or, do you mean you want to make a linux VM image, and use it?

Or, a combination, where you want to take the image from a live cd and use it as a VM?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Like Wired said, it's not clear at all what you are trying to achieve.
      If you're talking about Linux LiveCD, you don't need VMWare.
      IF you want a Linux virtual machine running on your Linux, I can tell you I installed and ran a large number of Linux flavors ( RedHat9, RHEL3, RHEL4, Mandrake, Mandriva, Debian, SUSE9, SUSE10) both on VirtualPC and VMWare.
      The page with free VMWare products: http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html
      The VirtualPC page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
      The Virtual Server 2005 page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
      Hope this info helped.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by jhn_daz View Post
        Hi Friends,

Is there any version of VM ware is available from which i can put any bootable cd my cd drive and i can run linux from my machine from my windows system ....

John
        Yes there is.

It is called VMWare server and is available here

This is ofcourse if you want to run windows and install linux onto a virtual hdd. I'm currently running RH6.1 in a virtual machine for testing purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          I'm currently running RH6.1
          And I thought I am the only one holding the RH5 and RH6 disks.... Damn !
          Regarding the thread itself, I think the OP still has to give some answers...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

i think i have a clue as to what your talking about and what (at least why i did) exactly what your talking about...

just rip an iso of your live CD...

i chose knoppix STD for the really cool and damaging tools that are stored on this gem of an iso. brutus and neussus and all kinds of cisco tools.. goodness what a bunch of cisco tools.. and place it in the "vmfs-iso" lun.

now create a virtual with a 1 gig disk (make it two, doesnt matter cause its only for configs, settings, and downloads) and i CD-ROM using the iso as the image. i have had best luck with selecting IDE emulation as opposed to SCSI with knoppix and whoppix both...

power on the virtual.. you should get good ol tux and the rainbow ansi startup screen. once the live cd boots up, then use QTparted or such to create yourself an ext2/3 or jfs on the (hopefully) only visable disk you have. once this partition is created, initialized, and formated select the option from the knoppix fly-out "create persistant home directory"

specify the new drive and give it 100% of the space. now save the current config, setttings and layout to the new home drive.

when you save your settings, you will have to make sure that you click the one radio (i forget what the hell it says, sorry) or you loose your desktop config settings... which can be a pisser.

one drawback is you cant install the VMtools on the knoppix... well, maybe YOU can but im not that *nux savy.

the other is the so-called "cheats" that are used at boot... when you use the persistant home directory scheme, you have to specify at boot "knoppix home=scan" or "knoppix home=hda2" et ceteria...

so to combat these issues i dont ever power off my knoppixSTD virtual, i just save the system state. that way i dont have to wait to boot an i am assured that my configs are just like i left them.

hope that helps.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Here is an article that can give you a clue: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/tec...n-windows.html

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X