Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you install Virtual Server 2005 R2 on exchange host server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you install Virtual Server 2005 R2 on exchange host server?

Hello,

We have a back-end exchange server and would like to install MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 on it. Is that possible? Since it runs IIS for OWA, was wondering if Virtual Server's web administration would interfere with exchange host's IIS OWA.
    And on this exchange host machine, can you install a front-end exchange server to run inside its virtual machine? So the front-end virtual machine will be running inside the virtual machine and will communicate with the back-end exchange server which is actually a physical host.

Thanks.

Re: Can you install Virtual Server 2005 R2 on exchange host server?

HI croku99,
    Technically, I believe this should work but I haven't tried any of it. I would highly recommend testing it first on a test machine - the whole thing.
    The VS admin website, by default, goes to port 1024 on the IIS web server. That is why I don't believe that the two would conflict.
    I would be more concerned with the impact on performance of the exchange server. I would think that you would get better performance out of having the FE/BE all on the same machine instead of virtualizing the FE server.
    What is your reasoning behind wanting to do this?
    Thanks for your post!
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

The reason for this is b/c this is for our remote site.
      We have our main site with physical FE and BE exchange servers.
      The FE servers, we'd like to load balance and BE servers, we're going to replicate using wansyncha software.
      To save money on the hardware, we'd like to consolidate by using a virtual machine.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi croku99,

Okay, sounds like a good concept. I understand better now the reason behind it - thanks.

I would just test it out.

SO you will have this-

PHYSICAL MACHINE - VIRTUAL SERVER & EXCHANGE BE
        VIRTUAL MACHINE - EXCHANGE FE for OWA and Exchange over secure RPC

right?

If so, you have two IIS instances running - one on the physical and one on the virtual. The physical only has the virtual server web interface on it running on port 1024.

The virtual machine IIS only has OWA web interface.

If that is true, then there shouldn't even be a chance for conflict. Hopefully my logic is right on that as I haven't done an Exchange FE install in a while and don't recall what websites it installs.

Thanks for your post!
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
        X