Creating AD/DC in Virtual Server 2k5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating AD/DC in Virtual Server 2k5

Ok, before people start saying its a screwy idea and all that, I just wanna test this theory out cause keeping a 400 watt desktop on 24/7 is a killer on my electric bills.

Anyways, I got a copy of Virtual Server 2005 and I was planning on installing Windows 2000 Server (not advanced) on it and running AD and DC from the virtual machine. Now, since the physical computer would be running a virtual server, I was thinking the physical computer would connect to the \domain and actually run off the active directory, just like if were having a seperate, physical server. Would this be possible in anyway? and if it is, how would you set this up. I've looked around online for any info for this (including DNS setup since it might be a pain to do that) but I can't really find any information.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Re: Creating AD/DC in Virtual Server 2k5

400W is killing you, try running 4 fulltime and 3 partime!

Moved to Virtual Forums for better response.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The only part thats "killing" me is that my dad won't let me run the desktop 24/7.. then again, he complains that I'm using the desktop at all because we completely moved into portable units (laptop/tablet pc/pda) nearly 2 years ago and it dropped nearly 33% on my electric bills but the problem with me is I control 3 of the units and I want to use the same type of login/setup as I used at school and work.

Also, I didn't notice there was a virtual server section...

Comment

i know about VT's that the more you run simultaneously you need more memory.

hmmm ok lets say you boot up your phisical pc... and you have to log on to the domain... but the VM is still not running... so i think its kind a chicken and egg thing... but if you try it let me know very interesting
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

Yeah, I recognized that problem also. I believe the only fix for something like that is to log on locally, start the vm then re-log into the domain. But something like this isn't such a big problem for me since I virtually leave my system running 24/7

Comment

yes but if you log off i think the maschine will stop running. you have to try to let the maschine run like system service or search for that feature... leave always on etc maybe you can just switch user... log on localy start the VM and then switch user?
            MCSE 2000 Done
            RHCE Done

Comment

Well, if you log onto local, start the v-server, then log out, it'll still be running. This method works, for actually making it run on its own.. theres a script area (Im using virtual server 2005) where I think this might work... but I'm not sure how to make it automatically run when the PC turns on (not log on yet)

Comment

I've messed around with VS2005 a little and I think that you can have a server start automatically pretty easily. I'll have a look round and see what I can see. As for your logon/logoff issues, VS2005 is a service so it will be running even when you log off. Also, you don't always need a connection to the DC to log on with a domain account. Once you log on for the first time you should be able to log on successively without trouble due to the cached credentials feature (unless you changed some settings).
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by -Bj View Post
                  Well, if you log onto local, start the v-server, then log out, it'll still be running. This method works, for actually making it run on its own.. theres a script area (Im using virtual server 2005) where I think this might work... but I'm not sure how to make it automatically run when the PC turns on (not log on yet)
                  You CAN do that in VS 2005. Look at the VM's properties. One thing, the VM must be turned off in order to make that change. You can also configure how many seconds it should wait before turning it on.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi -Bj,

Let me tell you my Virtual Setup for my testing porpuse. I have IBM @Server 330 P|||with 2GB RAM, 72x2 SCSI HDD.

The two HDD are converted to Dynamic and configured as Striped(RAID Software) just for better performance in Read/Write.

I have installed Win2k3 Sp1 as a Host OS and the Role is DC - DNS-Integrated, Exchange2003-BE,RADIUS.

I have installed VMWare Virtual Server and on top of that I have i have two win2k3. ISA 2004 with three NIC - LAN,WAN and DMZ. ALl the Network communication is done by ISA 2004 Firewall.

The firewall is configured with three NICs, along with the Network Relationship between each other.

Also I have Win2k3 SP1 in the DMZ Zone as Front-end Exchange Server and the communication is perfectly using ISA 2004.

To avoid Truning-Off the Guest OS when you Log off from the Host OS (DC) in the Guest OS Settings --> Options --> Startup/Shutdown --> on the Right-Hand just check the [i]Run this virtual machine as: [b]Local System Account[/b.

Below that Startup/Shutdown Options --> On Host Startup > Power on Virtual Machine //// On Host Shutdown --> Shutdown the Guest Operating System.

Note: Editing the Virtual Machine Settings must be done while the Guest OS is powered off.

Hope will help.

Habibalby
                    ================================
                    HND: Higher National Diploma in
                    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
                    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
                    Done:VMware DSA
                    ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X