Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

    Hello,
    I was looking for a new laptop, and started to wonder about the macbook pro retina 15" laptop (the one with the 16 gigs of ram and all the cool features), as an option, but then I started to wonder if this piece of apple hardware could run some WIN2012 server VMs?

    I'm not a big apple fan (actually I never had any apple device untill this day), and the only reason I consider it, is because the computer is very light for a 15" beast with I7, SSD and tons of RAM and a remarkable screen that I could use for some photo-editing that I do.

    I know that there is a VM solution by apple called "parallel", made for client-side VMs, and does a pretty good job running windows 7/8 machines.

    plus I saw a "VMware fusion" software, that ran some linux OS.
    but the guy with the laptop - told me he had some issues programming C with it (something to do with BIOS access).

    My question is - will this be smart to buy a mac, to effectively practice some MCITP stuff??
    I'm interested in creating a test-enviroment to practice some server 2012/2008 server machines, combined with some client machines.

    if anyone managed to create an effective VM servers enviroment on a mac, I would like to hear how it went? (including all the network access stuff and everything)

  • #2
    Re: hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

    Originally posted by JMG View Post
    Hello,
    I was looking for a new laptop, and started to wonder about the macbook pro retina 15" laptop (the one with the 16 gigs of ram and all the cool features), as an option, but then I started to wonder if this piece of apple hardware could run some WIN2012 server VMs?

    I'm not a big apple fan (actually I never had any apple device untill this day), and the only reason I consider it, is because the computer is very light for a 15" beast with I7, SSD and tons of RAM and a remarkable screen that I could use for some photo-editing that I do.

    I know that there is a VM solution by apple called "parallel", made for client-side VMs, and does a pretty good job running windows 7/8 machines.

    plus I saw a "VMware fusion" software, that ran some linux OS.
    but the guy with the laptop - told me he had some issues programming C with it (something to do with BIOS access).

    My question is - will this be smart to buy a mac, to effectively practice some MCITP stuff??
    I'm interested in creating a test-enviroment to practice some server 2012/2008 server machines, combined with some client machines.

    if anyone managed to create an effective VM servers enviroment on a mac, I would like to hear how it went? (including all the network access stuff and everything)
    I used VMware Fusion on a MacBook pro and created numerous servers on it with no issues what so ever.

    I eventually went back to a Windows PC as I needed access to the networking portion of the VMware software that was not available in Fusion.

    Hyper-V will not run on OSX.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

      Thanx a lot for the advice.

      Could you tell me what portion of networking is missing in the fusion?
      In hyper-v you can control the type of network connection (intranet, lan network, and outside network),
      Does it mean that in the fusion the VMs can't communicate with each other?
      or does it mean that you simply can't control the connection types of each machine?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

        Originally posted by JMG View Post
        Thanx a lot for the advice.

        Could you tell me what portion of networking is missing in the fusion?
        In hyper-v you can control the type of network connection (intranet, lan network, and outside network),
        Does it mean that in the fusion the VMs can't communicate with each other?
        or does it mean that you simply can't control the connection types of each machine?
        The VM's can communicate fine if you leave them as default.

        Please see this

        http://nickapedia.com/2012/01/10/bre...l-for-the-mac/

        Great tool I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle for what I needed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

          You can create networks with VMware Fusion 5...
          http://jasonnash.com/2012/08/24/vmwa...rk-editor-yay/
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

          MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

          "Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: hyper-v/vmware on a macbook pro retina... possible?

            Originally posted by Dumber View Post
            You can create networks with VMware Fusion 5...
            http://jasonnash.com/2012/08/24/vmwa...rk-editor-yay/
            Well there you go.

            I was using v4.

            Comment

            Working...
            X