No announcement yet.

Small office site consilidation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small office site consilidation

Hi All
    I would be happy to get your feedback on a Small Offices Consolidation project I am starting.
    I am looking into moving servers from small offices that don't have local IT people into main remote datacenters

some inputs
    1. offices are connected by MPLS lines.
    2. offices have local wan acceleration devices
    3. offices have servers like , DC, DNS, DHCP, Print, File, Backup , Small local apps

Can you guys share your input if you have this scenario up and running on your place and let me know what technologies are you using in order to be able to serve the above from a remote site over WAN.

I rather have all spread over two main datacenters and not start taking stuff to the cloud or build extra third datacenter.

I have been looking on cloud storage gateway solutions , that are giving me only solutions for the local backup/restore but not so the consolidation itself

VDI & Terminal solutions are not what I am aiming for

Thanks in advance

Re: Small office site consilidation

One issue to consider very carefully is bandwidth (not at the data centre but at the remote site) and WAN reliability -- if you have no infrastructure at the site, you are depending on everything else functioning properly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks Tom
      This was already taken into account

You are saying you're not aiming for VDI or Terminal Services, yet how are you planning to maintain the local clients in the offices?
        With either VDI or Terminal Services you can at least go for thin clients and place some spare thin clients on the shelves. Or just let them to bring their own devices.

Also you are saying you're not planning to go to the cloud... But why not building your own internal managed cloud?

Take into account I mainly work for large clients so maybe I have the wrong mindset

About the storage, I would go for a centralized, virtualized storage solution. But I'm not sure where you are looking for in this case.
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

1. I don't want to go to terminal or vdi , as they have their own laptops and desktops
          2. I have my own private cloud , the all idea is to move their data to me and work
          3. about storage we have the local storage on the small offices and the bigger storage in the main datacenter , and the all idea is to find a way to remove the one from the remote and have people work remotely

So by the sounds of it, you are looking at building an IAAS for their services am I right? You may well have local servers as well if deeemed necessary depending on the number of users at each site.