No announcement yet.

virtual format conversion

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtual format conversion

Hi ,

We are running citrix as well vmware esxi. Now we do have linux and windows systems running in my citrix xenserver and xen desktop. Now we do have 2 brnch office located and some of the users are working remote only.

Now i want them to provide one iso file of readily available system with all the programs installed . They just need to boot a system using a dvd and then start working with pre installed system .Its a kind of live cd in ubuntu linux . I make a research on google and find that using vmware converter tool we can make one ovf image of existing system , that we can bind it anywhere and start using it but we need a vmware workstation or vmware player. Now is it possible to convert this ovf file to ISO file so that my users do not need to installed vmware player or vmware workstation.

Please help !!

Thanks !!

Re: virtual format conversion

Hi ,

I am able to convert the existing power on sytem to a vmdk format using vmware converter , now is it possible to convert this vmdk to iso file . I mean in a OS bootable iso file . So that user can just boot the system using that iso bootable image and work on it.

is it any program available that can make a bootable iso from the power on system os it self , i mean if we installed this system on win 7 system or on a linux system and burn a dvd it automatically capture all the necessary boot related files and make a bootable iso image. or else just club the booting files and vmdk file and make one iso image....

no, OVF cannot be converted to ISO.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply ,

Is it possible to convert vmdk to iso , so that i can boot the OS from it.

There is a very helpful web site called which allows you to answer questions like this:
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **