Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any FREE VM for desktop comercial use ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any FREE VM for desktop comercial use ?

Hi,
    I'm looking for a free VM for PC's ( desktop and laptops ) but commercial use.
    VMware player is for home use - non commercial
    VirtualBOX ( oracle ) is for home use
    etc.

Most of the R&D here have VMware workstation = 199$ each
    But for my sales dep. i don't need VMware workstation. Player is enough but it's for home use only and i hate to spent 199$ for something that is overkill

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Re: Is there any FREE VM for desktop comercial use ?

Virtual PC
    Virtual Server
    VMware Server

Try one of those.

Comment

I have used several of those that you mentioned. I find Virtualbox to be rich in features and it supports x64 guests.

What are the limitations you are coming across when evaluating some of these VM applications? Is it that you are looking some type of vendor support?
      JM @ IT Training & Consulting
      http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

The only limitation is that i want it to be legal ( for commercial use )
        I'll check the licensing faq again at virtualBox

Comment

Don;t forget HyperV Server 2008 R2

And remember the guest OSes will need licensing!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've just pulled this from the VirtualBox website.

Can I buy a commercial license for VirtualBox?
            If you are an individual end user, there is generally no need to purchase a commercial license, provided that you respect, in the case of VirtualBox OSE, the terms and conditions of the GPL, or, in the case of the full VirtualBox package, those of the Personal Use and Evaluation License.

As an enterprise customer, we encourage you to purchase commercial licenses from Oracle and receive benefits such as access to enterprise features and support for mission-critical use of VirtualBox. We also encourage ISVs and IHVs to incorporate VirtualBox into their offerings, preferably through a custom license deal with Oracle. Please contact Oracle for additional information.

It doesn't actually state that you need a commercial licence. Same with the EULA

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL

See section 2 particularly this

“Personal Use” requires that you use the Product on the same Host Computer where you installed it yourself and that no more than one client connect to that Host Computer at a time for the purpose of displaying Guest Computers remotely.

Comment

If this is really required, I would see it as an excuse for a small VDI implementation. Amazing how these things grow when implemented - give a user a personal desktop, and within half a year you see hundreds added and blade chassis bought to accommodate VDI.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
                I'll install MS Virtual PC

Comment

What guest OSes do you need to run (VPC will only support 32-bit guests)
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I've noticed that.
                    32bit is enough.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X