Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lab setup medium business

Hi all

Im looking to study to be a sys admin and dont have the luxary of college and i dont think just books is going to cut the mustard.

I wish to set up a virtual lab enviornment that will emcompass all i need to simulate a mixed tech corporate enviornment e.g. mainly microsoft with one linux server, separated by routers, 2 subnets with dhcp, dns etc. with a branch ofice etc.

I need to learn about the the internet works also e.g. email, web server etc. so Im wondering has anyone so far go a layout or any good practice advice based on a typical medium busines.

Thanks for reading

Re: lab setup medium business

server with enough disk to fulfil your requirements (abd probably separated over several raid controllers)

give it at least 16GB of ram.

hyperV or ESX/ESXi the decision is really up to you.

in terms of layout, just go through one o the MS training books - it'll tell you how you configure a given lab for each exam prep...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Ok thanks mate

should have metioned ill be using virtual box unless hyperV is easy to pick up knowledge wise. I dont have a 16GB server. I can string together a few laptops with 2 to 4gb per laptop(shoe string budget ) and connect a crossover cable to link these together nd host maybe 3 vm's on 1 machine and 2 on another.

I do have 2 cisco routers and was thinking of using a roll over cablem or whatever its called cable to simulate a wan link.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar undertaking

Comment

Forget the Crossover cable and get a cheap switch.
        IMHO go HyperV as MS allow you to download a number of pre-configured sets of VHDs to get live environments quickly:
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/e..._122GMUS010825 and then search for VHD Demo

4 Gb will let you run 2 or 3 VMs without too much problems as long as you accept performance will be "slightly" poor!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

slightly ? :O
          I've got 4GB in my laptop, and when i try and run a 2GB 2008 host, it goes to sht..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by confuseis View Post
            Ok thanks mate

should have metioned ill be using virtual box unless hyperV is easy to pick up knowledge wise. I dont have a 16GB server. I can string together a few laptops with 2 to 4gb per laptop(shoe string budget ) and connect a crossover cable to link these together nd host maybe 3 vm's on 1 machine and 2 on another.
            Wondering if anyone has had a similar undertaking
            Seriously, beg and borrow parts to get something with 8GB minmum (16GB better) to use or you will not have fun. I have my 16GB Host running on an i3 530 and it is sufficient, just. Money was an issue at the time otherwise I would have a better CPU but for VMs, RAM is King.

If you have a 4GB laptop with Win7 on it, you may want to try using an 8GB USB memory stick and ReadyBoost. It is going to run like molasses but it may work.......just.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If its HyperV the OP should be running 2008R2SP1 either HyperV (free) or Standard (evaluation)
              Core HyperV should use about 0.5Gb leaving 3.5 for VMs

I have run Exchange courses with 4 or 5 running VMs on a 4Gb laptop -- not brilliant (now replaced with 8Gb i3) but workable
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm going to say you'll need at LEAST 16gb of ram.
                Sure, you can do less, but as BIGGLES said, Ram is indeed king.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  I've got 4GB in my laptop, and when i try and run a 2GB 2008 host, it goes to sht..
                  Keep in mind that disk performance will have an influence too, although granted, not as much as the memory.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

VMware workstation is worth a consideration if VMs are to be run from a laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X