Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDI Vs TS

Hi

Our company is a managed services hosted solutions provider, where we predominantly use Hyper V to provide virtual terminal servers to all of our clients.

I will be looking to put to the test VDI shortly to see what we can do with it & what use it will be to us if any. I will also be trialing a product called V workspace shortly as well (http://www.quest.com/vworkspace/ ).

But before I through myself headlong into days of testing & reading, can anyone tell me of their experience with VDI & why you use it instead of TS? I would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who mainly uses TS, instead of client server & if you have incorporated VDI into your model & why?

Personaly, on the surface of things. I can't see the advantage of VDI Vs TS or Citrix for example. As you are still providing a virtual environment either way. You still have to allocate disk space, memory etc on the host server . Non mobile users can use thin client with either model, but for mobile users, I cant see any benefit with VDI at all. If the argument is to provide a locked down desktop in VDI, then this has been done for years through madatory profiles or loopback policies. If the argument is economic, how does VDI liscensing compare to TS?

Thanks

Re: VDI Vs TS

VDI allows to:
    1. better manage and granulate the software available to end users
    2. better manage the network access available to the users
    3. better manage the resources available to users, and the way those are distributed and used
    4. deploy software to user groups in a granulated manner
    5. allow users to have different sessions with different software installed

Simple use case - I have a CEO that cannot be bothered with all the extra security policies on the RDS SH and needs extra software, and a faster working session, as well as access to a specific VLAN I cannot allow the terminals to see. Allocate a desktop VM for the guy, and you're done. No special GPO, no extra policies, not messing around with the terminal system scheduler.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Ok, how do your users access their VDI's? Through a thin client, laptop or desktop?

Doesn't the CEO have to reach across the network to access his VDI just the same as the users on the RDS? It's just that the CEO has his own VM & doesnt have to share resources with other users?

Essentially though, arent you using up valuable space on an expensive server by provisioning one VM that is only used by one user as opposed to a slightly larger one that is used by dozens if not hundreds of users through RDS or Citrix?

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
        Ok, how do your users access their VDI's? Through a thin client, laptop or desktop?
        any of the above and more

Doesn't the CEO have to reach across the network to access his VDI just the same as the users on the RDS? It's just that the CEO has his own VM & doesnt have to share resources with other users?
        exactly. the VM is technically sharing the host resources with other VMs, but that's not the same as with RDS

Essentially though, arent you using up valuable space on an expensive server by provisioning one VM that is only used by one user as opposed to a slightly larger one that is used by dozens if not hundreds of users through RDS or Citrix?
        well, yes and no. the whole point of virtualization has been to use underutilised servers. a modern server with 128 cores and 2Tb of RAM can't be used up with any simple app
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Thanks for all informations.....
          Last edited by juanva; 28th April 2011, 20:03.

Comment

VDI is exponentially more expensive than Terminal Services in terms of users per resource. It takes alot more RAM, Disk, and CPU to support 30 VDI sessions than it does to support 30 TS sessions.

Comment

Working...
            X