Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 64?

Hi,

So I just installed VirtualBox 5.5.1 on Windows 10 64bit with 32GB memory with no issues.

When I went to create a VM I found that the only supported versions were 32 bit OSs yet clearly there was no specific 64 bit version on the VirtualBox site (it said x86/amd64)

Any ideas?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

I don't know much about VirtualBox (HyperV is my main platform) but it appears you are not alone:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=64...gBA&gws_rd=ssl

Reading a few of the links, it appears you need to enable virtualisation in the BIOS too (and from past experience, make sure you do a full shutdown, not just a reboot, after modifying the BIOS settings)

Also ensure HyperV is disabled
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I don't know much about VirtualBox (HyperV is my main platform) but it appears you are not alone:
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=64...gBA&gws_rd=ssl

Reading a few of the links, it appears you need to enable virtualisation in the BIOS too (and from past experience, make sure you do a full shutdown, not just a reboot, after modifying the BIOS settings)
      Bugger! Probably means I have to reconfigure the memory again. A weird thing about the Dell Precision T5400 is that although it takes 32Gb the BIOS doesn't recognise it directly and, even though it can see each of the 8 slots as having 4GB, reports the system as having 16GB total. The work around is to remove Bank 2's memory. ensure it is all recognised AOK then put the additional memory in but DON'T go back into the BIOS and it will accept it. I have the latest BIOS of course but, in order to reset the virtualisation, I will have to go back into the BIOS ... oh well.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Also ensure HyperV is disabled
      OK, thanks. Maybe I should go back to Hyper-V too.

Keke

Comment

What happens if you install 8GB modules. Many, many moons ago when dinosaurs walked the earth, we had this problem when double sided RAM modules were put into certain motherboards. The stupid thing read each side of the RAM as a separate module. Same thing happened when I upgraded the RAM in a MacBook 2009 (I know, I wear rubber gloves when I use it so I don't get Appleised) from 2 x 1GB to 2 x 4GB. It didn't like the double sided modules but was quite happy with 2 x 4GB single sided modules.

Also had a greyware box that had a board that would support 16GB RAM. Put Kingston in since it is supposed to be fairly good but would only see 8GB. Grabbed some cheapie Hynix and it worked and still works fine. I Googled your device and the RAM issue is known. Seems like it's been around a while.

Departed: 23rd December 2015

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          What happens if you install 8GB modules. Many, many moons ago when dinosaurs walked the earth, we had this problem when double sided RAM modules were put into certain motherboards. The stupid thing read each side of the RAM as a separate module. Same thing happened when I upgraded the RAM in a MacBook 2009 (I know, I wear rubber gloves when I use it so I don't get Appleised) from 2 x 1GB to 2 x 4GB. It didn't like the double sided modules but was quite happy with 2 x 4GB single sided modules.

Also had a greyware box that had a board that would support 16GB RAM. Put Kingston in since it is supposed to be fairly good but would only see 8GB. Grabbed some cheapie Hynix and it worked and still works fine. I Googled your device and the RAM issue is known. Seems like it's been around a while.
          Hi,

I don't know ... couldn't afford it even if I did on account of being redundant and poor

As it happened I was able to access the BIOS and change it ... it works fine now (except for RDP that is and I've raised that in the 2012 forum).

Thx

Keke

Comment

Working...
          X