No announcement yet.

What better gear for ESXI HOST

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What better gear for ESXI HOST

Hello everyone ,

I want to install a session of ESXI 6.0 on a physical machine where i want to create more virtual machines(win10guests) (around 10 x 6 GB ram each ).
    On those machines i will run tomcat apache instances .
    Since there is always a cost issue , i found 2 systems that i am thinking for this.
    The price for this is quite similar but i am not sure what do do regarding the RAM (frequency)and CPU (cores/threads) differences.
    1. Desktop PC : I7-5820K CPU( , Asus X99-A MB , 4x16 GB DDRM4 2133 with 1 TB HDD
    This has 2015 components.
    2.Server : HP ProLiant DL160 G8 , that has : 2 x E5-2640 , 64 GB DDR3 1333 with 1 TB HDD
    This has 2012 components

Basically the important question is : What to pick between 1 x i7 5820k CPU and DDR4 2133 vs 2 x E5-2640 and DDR3 1333 for the instalation of ESXI as host.
    And also how important are the cores for an virtualization sistem like ESXI.
    Thank you very much for your time ,

If you are wanting to run 10 VMs off a single hard drive, you will have major performance problems - get multiple drives in a RAID 10 array, or look at SSDs

Also more processor cores are better, so the desktop has only 4 cores (appears as 8 with hyper-threading) where the proper server has 2 x 6 actual cores

Finally reliability will be much better on "proper" server class hardware
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks for your answer Ossian ,
      Good point in Raid 10 , i did not thought of that , it seams to have a pretty good speed gain compare to other Raid types.
      Regarding the reliability i do not care so much , i care about speed.(The VM can crash and be restarted , that will not be a problem(as long it is not to often) they will be for testing some applications).