Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wsus and Virtualization

Hello,

I have set up like 4 or more Virtual labs, with both WMWare and Virtualbox. When I set up WSUS in all those Labs, it never works.
    Does it have something to do with WSUS being virtualized?. I mean, it is a straighforward process and I could have done it wrong in one or two of those Labs, but it always goes wrong.
    I have tried just about everything, and sometimes, for a while, it works, but then I always have this error message: "Error connection, Reset Server Node."

As I say, if it wouldn't have worked in one or two of the labs, I would know it was my fault. It is a somewhat easy process.
    I have gone through all the possible suggestions out there on the internet, I have installed it in 2008 and 2012, in Wmware and VirtualBox...always the same problem, over and over.

Thanks in advance.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

I have used virtualised WSUS servers for several years, without any problems.(2008R2 and 2012R2)
    The error you describe is normally to do with the database needing re-indexing - see http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...0-f1d270ddea61 for a script which should (IMHO) be run regularly on your WSUS servers. Also run the cleanup wizard regularly.
    Also if you use the default Window Internal Database, you don't get the level of performance of using SQL server, either locally or a separate box

What processor/memory have you allocated to your WSUS servers?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,

​The thing is that it occurs right after the installation, so, I don't know how it could happen so soon after such default installation. Besides, it happens in every single Virtual Lab that I set up, either with VMWare or VirtualBox, and in both 2008 and 2012 R2 scenarios.

As for the processor, the host's processor is intel i5-6200 , and the memory I allocate for every VM is 1 GB.

Forgot to mention: I have gone through numerous pieces of advice that there are out there, about what to do, restarting some services, etc, and none worked.

Thanks again.
      Last edited by loureed4; 1st February 2016, 09:27.
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Update:

I am running the VM with 1.5 GB RAM now, and it seems to be working fine, but maybe soon to tell.
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

My WSUS servers (2012R2 with local SQL server instance) are 8-12Gb (Dynamic memory)
          SQL is a memory hog and, IMHO, 1/5Gb is FAR too low
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks,

It all comes down to the host limitations, 8 Gb RAM. I couldnīt buy anything more expensive. At this very moment, this laptop is handling 5 VMs, with 1 Gb RAM each. But the workload is pretty low now, just the computers receiving the updates from WSUS.

The WSUS Server has allocated now 1.5 GB for a lab environment. I mean, even for a lab that would be too low ?

When I install Exchange 2013 in this new lab, I will see how Exchange handles 1 GB RAM, which again, I assume is too short, but cannot do it any other way now.

Thanks!
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Not sure whether Exchange 2013 will even complete the install with so little RAM assigned. It will definitely complain, as it wants 16Gig to run without issue. If it does install, it will run like a proverbial pig. I think you'll find that your WSUS issue is more down to it's SQL needs more than the Updates service itself. However you manage it, you've got to get more space for the VMs to run in, regardless of how small the user base is.
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

For learning, fine, but expect all sorts of problems (as you are seeing). Consider getting something better as your hosting box - a cheap desktop motherboard with 32 Gb shouldn't break the bank, or look at second (third) user servers from e.g. computersource.co.uk. If you weren't in Spain, I have a couple of now spare Dell C1100s with 72GB RAM I'm looking to re-home
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

[QUOTE= or look at second (third) user servers from e.g. computersource.co.uk. If you weren't in Spain, I have a couple of now spare Dell C1100s with 72GB RAM I'm looking to re-home [/QUOTE]

Wow, I will look into this !! , thanks!
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                  X