Download XenServer v5.0 Enterprise FREE of charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download XenServer v5.0 Enterprise FREE of charge

Effective from April 1, 2009 (no this is NOT an April fools day joke) you can download from the Citrix site XenServer v5.0 free of charge and also can use it unlimited free of charge. XenServer v5.0 is an enterprise based hypervisor. This is not the OpenSource version of XenServer.

Download from here:
    http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/home.asp

As I stated before, this is NOT the OpenSource version, but the Enterprise version, for which you had to pay previously. Citrix offered three versions before. They have abandoned to offer three for pay versions and instead now offer the full version free of charge (for which you had to pay at least USD 2000,- or so). Don’t ask me why Citrix decided to change their strategy. I only can speculate (VMware’s ESX monopolistic position?). May be the market entry threshold was too high for Citrix to gain significant market share? Please note that Citrix will possibly off-set their loss in sales by offering for sale add-in / add-ons for XenServer (mainly for the Administrator).

XenServer is a 64-bit bare metal hypervisor, running VM’s for Linux, Windows 32-bit and Windows 64-bit.

XenServer uses the native Microsoft drivers in the VMs, as opposed to the proprietery drivers written by VMware for ESX. This is a big advantage over ESX. And ESX of VMWare is 32-bit, as opposed to XenServer, which is 64-bit.

I had no other choice than to put this posting in the VMware Virtualization forum. May be the Forum administrators can add Citrix Xenserver as a separate Virtualization forum?
    Last edited by switch; 14th April 2009, 00:51.

Re: Download XenServer v5.0 Enterprise FREE of charge

Thanks for the heads up! - I do not know if this warrants its own forum though...
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

May be not now. But it will warrant its own forum at some point of time. Once the benefits of XenServer will become more widely known.

Originally posted by Maish View Post
      Thanks for the heads up! - I do not know if this warrants its own forum though...

Comment

Looks like everything is being released for free these days. I hope they start doing that with automobiles soon... Switch, how big of an environment do you use XenServer in?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X