Imaging and Virtualization.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging and Virtualization.

Hello everyone im new hear to the forums. But not new to Petri. This place has been great. But I got a problem that google makes it really hard to find the answer and was looking for some quick answers.

What I got is a terminal server on a windows 2003 at a remote location. What I need to accomplish is to move the computers OS not the computer. I have been looking into imaging software but all I have found makes images for the same piece of hardware. What I need is an complete image of the OS but it need to work on a completely different piece of hardware.

Anyone have had any experiences with this. I have done images before but not like this and usually they are for the same piece of hardware. This case it not the same piece of hardware.

Last question. More of a poll really. I am new to the virtualization world but have messed around with a few. What is a really good system for virtualization? I know of CITRIX and VMware. And now I am see Hyper V for server 2008 but what I have read Hyper V is only for 2008. Feed back on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all the feed back on my issues.

PS Didnt know which section to slap this thing in.

Re: Imaging and Virtualization.

Originally posted by jtullous View Post
    Hello everyone im new hear to the forums. But not new to Petri. This place has been great. But I got a problem that google makes it really hard to find the answer and was looking for some quick answers.
    welcome

What I got is a terminal server on a windows 2003 at a remote location. What I need to accomplish is to move the computers OS not the computer. I have been looking into imaging software but all I have found makes images for the same piece of hardware. What I need is an complete image of the OS but it need to work on a completely different piece of hardware.
    why not simply ntbackup the system state and the data, reinstall the OS on a new system and run a full restore?

Anyone have had any experiences with this. I have done images before but not like this and usually they are for the same piece of hardware. This case it not the same piece of hardware.

Last question. More of a poll really. I am new to the virtualization world but have messed around with a few. What is a really good system for virtualization? I know of CITRIX and VMware. And now I am see Hyper V for server 2008 but what I have read Hyper V is only for 2008. Feed back on this would be greatly appreciated.
    yes, hyper-V is only for 2008 (x64 preferrably)
    don't forget to install the RTM update if you try to use it
    IMO it is too raw to be used in production - too many bugs keep popping up here and there. if you have the proper hardware go for ESXi, and for basic virtualization, vmware-server on linux works perfectly fine in production, if all you need is a standalone server, no HA clustering.
    ________
    HONDA CBR250 SPECIFICATIONS
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:23.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Thank you for your input. What is your take on Citrix Xenserver vs the VMware?

Comment

http://www.symantec.com/business/bac...server-edition

Comment

I've run the opensource edition of Xen - not bad at all
          but ESX is easier to use
          ________
          Ferrari 328 specifications
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:24.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
          X