X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-v 2012 high traffic

Dears
    i have Hyper-v 2012 Data center installed on Dell server 720
    the problem in when i created any guest on the Hyper-v and ping from any site it comes with high Network traffic despite this guest have not service or software it's juest window server also the Physical machine (Dell 2012 ) have only one guest why this high traffic come i need your help, for mention i tried to install fresh windows copy with the same result, please help.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ayman.se; 4th April 2015, 14:35.

Re: Hypet-v 2012 high traffic

What sort of high traffic - network, processor, disk ???
    (EDIT, re-reading your original, it is network)
    Can you give us examples for the guest VM and for the host server

Note I have deleted your identical post in the Server 2008 forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Hypet-v 2012 high traffic

thanks for mention
      the problem with network traffic

Comment

Re: Hyper-v 2012 high traffic

This is like pulling teeth....

Can you give us some more details, preferably with examples.

Also what are the HW specs of the physical server and the VM?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

While working on a Hyper-V 3.0 deployment recently, I noticed that all of the virtual machines running on all newly built hypervisors were showing an unhealthy high ping latency trying to ping anything from local network to VMs. but pings from inside the varied from 1ms all the way past 300ms.
          Hard ware is Dell Poweredge 720.
          thanks

Comment

Sigh... never mind....
            There are only about 200 different variations you can get for a Dell PowerEdge, and you haven't bothered giving us VM specs, or what actual latency you consider to be "unhealthy"

What does perfmon give you?
            What does pinging the host give?
            What other networking equipment is involved?
            How do the host and guest VMs connect (shared connection?)

Or should I just get my crystal ball out and attempt to guess answers
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Sorry, I'm not accept your response, i think this cause is clear enough, if you don't have technical response please keep other participle try to answer.
              thanks.

Comment

But no one else can answer without more detail, which is what Ossian is attempting to get you to provide.

Your problem could be related to a physical switch that is between your VMs and the client PCs which connect to them.

Your problem could be related to the drivers used for the physical NIC in the Dell server which host your VMs.

Your problem could be related to how much RAM you have in your Dell host vs the RAM settings for your VMs.

Your problem could even be related to disk access times on your Dell host, which governs how well your VMs can operate.

If you can't/won't answer, we can't help.
                *RicklesP*
                MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ayman.se View Post
                  Sorry, I'm not accept your response, i think this cause is clear enough, if you don't have technical response please keep other participle try to answer.
                  thanks.
                  Hi ayman.se,

Advise is given here on a voluntary basis and we always endeavour not to jump to conclusions, so offer technical advise accordingly. I disagree with your response and the cause is not clear. The root cause is what we are helping with and recommendations have been made accordingly.

From what I can see, you have been asked a number of questions and we have already responded to some of your questions. If you still need support on this matter, please respond to questions you have been asked otherwise let us know if you don't, so we can look into closing this post.

You have also been given recommendations around what to use in the meantime to get to a root cause and would expect feedback from you around those as well, which helps you get to the root cause and results you post back to us, would then help us channel technical responses accordingly.

Comment

hi ayman.se,

I'm going to try and see if I can help you figure this out. I may well ask alot of questions but that's because I simply don't have any knowledge of your specific environment and setup.

firstly, could you explain what you identify as "high latency"?
                    For instance, I regard latency of 35-50ms for my Azure virtual servers to be acceptable, but above 75ms to be high.
                    Or, I regard latency of 250-300ms between my home office and my London client (hey, it's 10,000 miles!) to be acceptable, but 400ms to be high
                    So it's a bit relevant. Especially if you consider the type of network connections between the two endpoints.

Secondly, if you have two virtual guests on the one physical Dell host and they ping each other, what is the latency?

Thirdly, what if you ping the actual console of the physical host? (IE, on esx it would be the management interface vnic that you use for viconsole, and hyperV it would be the host's IP address you could use to RDP)

Fourth, what if you png from the physical host, to the guests it hosts?

Hoping your answers can help me address this wih you
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X