Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC Teaming - Hyper-V 2012 R2

Hi all

I have a question regarding the set up of a host at a clients. It's a 2012 R2 Hyper-V host and it's currently only running one production VM. It's hosted local on a 10k SAS Raid 10 volume.

My aim is to increase the network throughput to this VM. The host is an HP DL380 G8 and has 4 x onboard GB NIC's.

Taking into account the improvements in NIC teaming with 2012 and the ability to dedicate physical teamed NIC's to VM's - what are people's thoughts on the best way to go for this set-up?

I could either just team all four NIC's on the host, or team two on the host, and then team the other two directly to the VM. In term's of throughput, the former seems to make the most sense, giving a 4GB connection to the LAN for both host and VM, however maybe dedicating one NIC to the management network and three to the VM could work...

Lots of options and I'm hoping you guys could comment.

Many thanks

NB

Re: NIC Teaming - Hyper-V 2012 R2

My aim is to increase the network throughput to this VM

Why? Is the existing NIC saturated? If not, throwing another NIC at it isn't going to improve anything.

If a pipe carrying water is only half full, making the pipe twice as big doesn't make it carry more water.

Comment

Yes, at times the 1GB connection is being maxed out by the amount of traffic.

The VM is a SQL database and application server.

"If a pipe carrying water is only half full, making the pipe twice as big doesn't make it carry more water."

Very deep, however, if said pipe is in fact becoming a bottleneck, making that pipe bigger means the potential is there to squeeze through the same amount of water faster - especially if the pump is nice and powerful.
      Last edited by nickb75; 26th March 2015, 20:53.

Comment

If the throughput you're worried about is between that VM and one other device, it won't matter if you have multiple NICs in a team. The rules that govern TCP/IP mandate that your TCP traffic only goes to the max width of the physical link between 2 endpoints, not the width of the team. But, if your VM is talking to 2 other devices simultaneously, and the VM has a team of 2 NICs, each leg of that team can run at its full width--1 leg talks to device 1, 2nd leg talks to device 2, at the same time, each one running all-out if need be.

We had the same question regarding live migration in a cluster of 2 hosts. We've got multiple 1Gig links teamed together between the 2 hosts, but live migration of VMs only runs at 1Gig, because of how TCP/IP connects. If we had a 3rd host in the mix, we could live migrate VMs from host 1 to host 2 at 1 Gig, at the same time as a 1Gig migrate from host 1 to host 3. After we went through the trouble of setting up the teams, we found it made no difference, then found out why. If your 2 endpoints are always the same IPs, the only way to increase the bandwidth is to use a bigger pipe (from 1Gig to 10Gig links.)
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
          If the throughput you're worried about is between that VM and one other device, it won't matter if you have multiple NICs in a team.
          Thanks for the response, no it's the VM and about 20 workstations - so I should definately see improvements, I'm just wondering which way people would go in regards to the NIC teaming set-up.

Obviously this is not a massive operation - it may be that just teaming the NIC's solely on the host is the simplest solution...

Comment

For traffic between 1 VM and multiple clients, then YES teaming is a good thing. The virtual switch and virtual NIC inside the VM should be telling you it's a 10Gig link, but of course that's all in the Host's RAM. If you want to ensure you have good throughput between the VM and a collection of clients, them team-away. My Development network/servers uses the built-in M-Soft Server 2012 teaming software rather than tools from the NIC vendors, and I'm mixing Intel and Broadcom NICs as well. Works fine.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I would team 2 (or 3) NICs on the host (using MS's teaming is fine like RicklesP says) making sure to configure for Hyper-V. Make sure you leave 1 NIC for the host management.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X