Upgrade to 2012 R2 with limited space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to 2012 R2 with limited space

Hi all. New here, good to be here. I have a question or two if you wouldn't mind giving some direction. I have a 2008 R2 server with Hyper-V and only 1 VM, however this VM is over a TB in size over 4 fixed vhd's. I want to upgrade the server to 2012 R2, however disk space is an issue, as is the time needed to import/export to USB. I know I need to upgrade this VM to 2012 first, then 2012 R2 so, Could you comment on the following:

1. The server is an HP DL380G8 and has 2 disks in a RAID 1 for the OS and 4 disks in a RAID 10 for the hyper-v data, can I just blat the OS and keep the data array and disks and thus the virtual machine files in place, install 2012 on the OS drives, import the VM - bearing in mind there's no space to replicate the VM anywhere, then same again, install 2012 R2 and import, not sure if this is possible as as far as I know importing and exporting does the VHD's.

2.On that note, if I have to go down the route of copying the VM off onto a USB drive, could I potentially just detach the VHD's from the VM, move them to another folder, export the virtual machine config, re-install and import the config and re-attach the VHD's? Worst case scenario, I guess I could create a new VM and attach the VHD's but thats a last resort thing. Any guidance appreciated. NB
    Last edited by nickb75; 15th March 2015, 10:25.

Re: Upgrade to 2012 R2 with limited space

I'm going to try and answer my own question from further research - maybe someone will have done the same and will confirm:

It appears I can just blow away the 2008 R2 installation on the OS array, re-install 2012, update etc, then open Hyper-V manager and import the VM right in - apparently exporting is not necessary when upgrading to 2012 Hyper-V.

This will need to be repeated for 2012 R2 afterwards.

Can anyone confirm this to be true?

Thanks

Comment

Correct - you can import in 2012 without previously exporting (saved my reputation after a major OS crash)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Correct - you can import in 2012 without previously exporting (saved my reputation after a major OS crash)
        Thanks Ossian!

For my own information, can you or anyone else answer the question that remains, not relevant in this case now, but I'm still interested. Is there any reason you can't just detach all VHD's from a VM and and export the configuration, then once it is where you want it, re-attach VHD's?

Comment

No particular reason why not - watch out for snapshots though
          Alternatively, create a new VM and attach the VHDs
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian's approach is probably easiest for you. If you ever go down the export configuration route and in effect, don't remove the current assigned drives and if relevant, just place them in the same location as referenced, you would potentially get an error when booting. If that's the case, remove the drives from the configuration (this doesn't remove the VHDs themselves) and then re-add the Drive. Easiest way to resolve it otherwise you have to go down the CACLS route to set the relevant permission.

I tend to have this if restoring from a previous SAN snapshot of a VM whereas you power the current VM down, rename the current VHD or VHDX files and then just copy the restored ones in its place. You tend to get an error if then booting.

Comment

Working...
            X