Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSV Question regarding New vhdx

Hi,
    Running two host hyper-v cluster with two presently running two vm.
    There are three CSV I created one as Quorum and remaining two for each VM.

So host failure works great.

Now arise the addition of new HDD to one of the VM and move some data on new added drive say E.

Question is that,should I Raw disk to CSV as well?

The only idea is that this disk newly added voulme inside the VM should be able to fail over to other host.

Is CSV the requirement in this case?
    I guess yes.

But need expert opinion.

Regards,
    Sushil

Re: CSV Question regarding New vhdx

Hi Sushil.

Originally posted by sushil View Post
    Running two host hyper-v cluster with two presently running two vm.
    There are three CSV I created one as Quorum and remaining two for each VM.
    Can you clarify how many CSV's you have? If one is the quorum then it is not a CSV.

Question is that,should I Raw disk to CSV as well?
    You can put it on any CSV that has available space for the VHDX.

The only idea is that this disk newly added voulme inside the VM should be able to fail over to other host.
    CSV are highly available. If you've configured you VM's to be highly available and put the VHD(X)'s on highly available storage then it should failover fine.

Is CSV the requirement in this case?
    Technically CSVs are not a requirement for high availability. But having CSVs makes it easier to manage since you don't need one LUN per VM. You can allocate a large pool of storage to the cluster, make it a CSV, and then put as many VMs (and their VHD(X)'s) as is appropriate for performance and management. Note that multiple hosts can access CSVs as the same time. This is unlike non-CSV storage where only the owner of the disk can access it.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,
      No, Quorum is not in CSV.

I have two CSV one for application and other for DB VM.

I needed to add more space rather a new drive letter to DB vm.
      To answer that added created new physical hard disk on my storage and presneted LUN to associated physical host running hyper-v cluster.

Since I wanted to have new drive and storage on guest VM so added newly provisioned storage as CSV and added it to VM as drive letter E.

This has to be under CSV so that in case of failure of one host this newly added drive will be available on survived host.

Reg,
      Sushil

Comment

Hi Sushil,

I get the impression that you are presenting a CSV to the VM?

So in your case, you'd be presenting at your SAN level a LUN at the Cluster, so all Clustered Hyper-V Hosts can potentially access the LUN.

It then needs adding as per the below article;

http://www.petri.com/create-windows-...red-volume.htm

You're E drive addition could then be a VHDX file you create but stored on the appropriate CSV volume or directly from the SAN, if you have enabled something such as Virtual Fiber Channel. We tend to use VHDX files now stored on a CSV volume as has proven to be more stable.

Comment

Working...
        X