Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit volumes on VHD?

Hi,

I have one 300Gb VHD file containing C: (O/S 100Gb) and D: (data 200Gb). How can I extract
    each of those volumes so that they reside on individual VHD's?

So, i want to go from this:

1 x 300Gb VHD C: (O/S 100Gb) and D: (data 200Gb)

to

1 x 100Gb VHD C: (O/S)
    1 x 200Gb VHD D: (data)

Is there a tool to do this or via powershell?

Thanks

Re: Spit volumes on VHD?

There may be easier ways but:
    Create new VHD
    Format as single volume
    Move current D drive contents
    Delete current D drive volume
    Shink current VHD
    Attach new VHD to VM

(you may want to do this by mounting the current VHD on a new VM so you don't need to worry about the OS running)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Quite a good idea that, but I am really looking at a way to keep the contents of the C and D drive intact, rather that have to copy the data.

Any of you guys an other suggestions?

Comment

Have you looked into cloning tools? Lots of free stuff out there. Clone each drive letter to a new VHD, and those become your separate VHDs for the VM.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Do you have any tried and tested suggestion for tool that will do this?

Thanks

Comment

Easus ToDo Backup Free (just used that for a P2P migration, so no reason it shouldn't work V2V)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This only works for workstations and not Servers

Anyone any other suggestions?

Comment

So temporarily detach the VHD and mount it on a workstation?

Or use to look for free partition cloning software

Note there is no indication in your previous posts what the OS you are working with is, so my psychic powers and crystal balls must have been off when I responded.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

To clarify, this is a request for products that work in the Server enviroment and not for Workstation cloning.

So to expand on the initial question I have re-compiled it:

Hi,

I have one 300Gb VHD file containing C: (O/S 100Gb Windows 2008R2) and D: (data 200Gb Windows 2008R2).
                  This VHD is residing on Windows Server 2012R2.

How can I extract each of those volumes so that they reside on individual VHD's rather than within one VHD?

to

Are there tools you guys have tried and tested that can do this (not including SCVMM) or via powershell maybe?

Thanks

ps:
                  (Easus only seems to support Virtual PC and not Hyper-V VHD/VHDX.)
                  Last edited by protech; 23rd February 2015, 15:06.

Comment

Probably the easiest way is to create another VM and have VHDs attached and then use Robocopy to copy over the data.

Comment

Originally posted by protech View Post
                      To clarify, this is a request for products that work in the Server enviroment and not for Workstation cloning.
                      That is of no consequence, since you probably can't (or at least shouldn't) do this from within the running OS anyway.

You'll have to power the VM down and handle the disks directly by booting into a Live CD environment or mounting the VHDs on another system, hence it doesn't matter whether the OS on the disk is a server edition or a workstation. What you'll be handling, are partitions containing NTFS filesystems.
                      Originally posted by protech View Post

to

You want to go from a scenario where you have one disk (which happens to be a VHD) with two partitions, to one where you have two different disks with one partition on each disk. What is currently partition 2 of your single disk should become partition 1 on a new virtual disk. Partition 2 of your existing virtual disk could then be deleted and the .vhd shrunk.

You really only have to move the stuff on partition 2 to a new disk, and robocopy is perfectly capable of doing that while preserving ACLs. You could also one of the many disk cloning utilities or partition managers that exist, including those mentioned in this thread.

Personally, I'd use a cloning utility for this. Almost anything would do, as long as you could either run it on another system with both the new and the old VHD files attached, or boot the VM into a live environment, again with both disks attached.

(I'd probably end up using dd, but then I'm familiar with the *nix command line.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                        That is of no consequence, since you probably can't (or at least shouldn't) do this from within the running OS anyway.

---Sometimes you don't have a choice in a professional enviroment

You'll have to power the VM down and handle the disks directly by booting into a Live CD environment or mounting the VHDs on another system, hence it doesn't matter whether the OS on the disk is a server edition or a workstation. What you'll be handling, are partitions containing NTFS filesystems.

You want to go from a scenario where you have one disk (which happens to be a VHD) with two partitions, to one where you have two different disks with one partition on each disk. What is currently partition 2 of your single disk should become partition 1 on a new virtual disk. Partition 2 of your existing virtual disk could then be deleted and the .vhd shrunk.

---Correct, but shrinking a disk it not always possible. There are strict requirements as when and how you can shrink a volume on a VHD.

You really only have to move the stuff on partition 2 to a new disk, and robocopy is perfectly capable of doing that while preserving ACLs. You could also one of the many disk cloning utilities or partition managers that exist, including those mentioned in this thread.

----With data and shares that's not to bad, but if the C: is hosting things such as SQL or Exchange, you can't just move them

Personally, I'd use a cloning utility for this. Almost anything would do, as long as you could either run it on another system with both the new and the old VHD files attached, or boot the VM into a live environment, again with both disks attached.

(I'd probably end up using dd, but then I'm familiar with the *nix command line.)
                        --- I could use the #nix approach, but in this scenario, given factors relating to what the Server is doing/customer requirements I am still really looking for the names of tools you guys have tried and tested and trust, that can do this (not including SCVMM) or via powershell maybe?

Comment

Its been a while since i've used this but when i did it done everything i needed it to

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-converter-download

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            Its been a while since i've used this but when i did it done everything i needed it to

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-converter-download

Checking it out - thanks!

Comment

I'd second (or third) the option for new VHD, migrate the data and then shrink the existing VHD personally. Either robocopy or Microsoft's FSMT will move the data and preserve the file permissions and directory structure. It's trivial to make a second copy of the VHD as a backup in case of something going wrong as well.
                              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X