No announcement yet.

Virtual File Server on Hyper-V

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual File Server on Hyper-V

Currently I have two servers clustered together as a file server, connected via iscsi to various shared volumes. Fairly traditional setup, Server 2008 R2.

One thing that always bugs me with this setup is that client connections get dropped during a failover.

I know there are changes in 2012 R2/Windows 8 with SMB 3.0 that stop these drops from occuring but we're not likely to upgrade from Windows 7 anytime soon.

So I am looing at creating a virtual file server, on Hyper-V (Server 2012 R2) cluster.

Firsly - If this virtual file server was failed over to the other node in the cluster, would the connections still be dropped as with the traditional cluster setup?

Secondly - Is there any real benefit from virtualising a windows file server compared to a 2 node physical cluster (assuming same servers and storage used in either situation)

Re: Virtual File Server on Hyper-V

IMHO use DFS as an alternative - clients point to a DFS root which maps to one or more shares, with synchronisation of files between them. No need to cluster
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

The problem I'd have there is the size of storage needed to have a replication of the file share. We're talking around 60TB so would be fairly costly to duplicate that.

When a Hyper-V Failover Cluster node fails, any virtual machines on the node need to be started on one of the remaining nodes, so yes, clients would be disconnected from that virtual machine and any services being provided by that virtual machine.

Virtual machine guest clustering may be a solution for you: