Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One node in the clustered structure is non-responsive

Hi,

I am recently encountered with the problem of Virtual Servers being non-responsive at times. after the troubleshoot i have identified that it is those servers which is under one Node is what becoming non-responsive. So for the time being i have moved all my virtual OS into another node (Node1), I would like to know why one node is performing perfectly and another is not? I have tried chkdsk, windows update etc but no use. There's no lagging or any other issues when accessing the Node2 which is causing problem when hosting virtual OS into it.

My network details as follows:

2 identical servers as Node1 and Node2

the servers are clustered using clustering service and the hardware is Dell equallogic

Both the nodes are Windows 8R2
    Virtual OS created using Hyper V and all the OS are windows 8R2

Regards,

Re: One node in the clustered structure is non-responsive

- Go through the event log and see if there are any errors.
    - In Failover Cluster Manager, see if there are any errors reported.
    - Run the cluster validation tests (note that you can't do the storage tests because it's in use)
    - Have you installed the Hyper-V and Cluster patches?
    -- Cluster: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...r-2008-r2.aspx
    -- Hyper-V: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...date-list.aspx
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, i have updated the server into the latest patches.

Hyper-V is already installed and i had 2 virtuals nodes running on this Hyper-V host for about one and half years. Only recently i started facing this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by forensictechy View Post
        Yes, i have updated the server into the latest patches.
        Since you're running Hyper-V and Failover Clustering there are patches you should install that do not come through Microsoft Update. The two links I provided list all the pertinent updates for 2008 R2 and whether they're available as a hot fix download or through Microsoft Update. Go through both links and install the recommended patches.

Originally posted by forensictechy View Post
        Hyper-V is already installed and i had 2 virtuals nodes running on this Hyper-V host for about one and half years. Only recently i started facing this issue.
        Yes, I realize you have Hyper-V and Failover Clustering installed. You should still go through the logs and run the validation tests.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply ( and sorry for pestering)

I did the validate this cluster and i am getting the below error message, other than every other test in the validate this test is complete and green in color

( Copying the error message here)
          =======================
          Validate Disk Failover
          Validate that a disk can fail over successfully with data intact.
          Getting partition table for cluster disk 0 from node NODE1.***
          Arbitrating for cluster disk 0 from node NODE1.***
          Bringing online cluster disk 0 on node NODE1.****
          Writing file data on cluster disk 0 partition 1
          Failed to write file data on cluster disk 0 partition 1, failure reason: The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

Failed to write file data on cluster disk 0 partition 1, failure reason: The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

======================
          But in this situation, the node which is mentioned above ( Node1) is working perfectly fine and i am having issue with Node2.

Can you please advise?

Comment

The disk failures are to be expected. (as I noted)

I hate to belabor this but can you confirm that you downloaded and installed the Hyper-V and failover clustering patches from the two links I provided?

Are these Dell servers?
            If so, download and run the SUU (software update utility 7GB+ ) to update the drivers and firmware.

I would also run the hardware diagnostics on the node that has issues. Could be bad RAM or CPU or any number of other components.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
              Are these Dell servers?
              If so, download and run the SUU (software update utility 7GB+ ) to update the drivers and firmware.
              Depending on the age of the servers they MAY have the Dell LifeCycle controller that can do all that for you.

We have it on our R710 servers which are circa 5 - 6 years old.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...cle-controller

Comment

Hi,

I have updated all the patches, firmware etc using the latest SUU available with Dell, but the problem still exists!

Comment

is there anyone who can offer me help? I have contacted the Dell team and did many tests including hardware tests. and according to them the hardware is perfect! i have also updated the firmware, driver etc using SUU .. but nothing helped me so far

Comment

Please don't bump your posts - members give up their free time to help out and there are not always the right people on line at any point. If you need more urgent support, raise a case with Microsoft Product Support Services who have teams of engineers waiting to leap into action (all major credit cards accepted )

Are you in a position to format and reinstall the OS on the problem node to see if it cures things?
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

/<Please don't bump your posts> Does this mean that I should stop posting and visiting the petri forum?

Comment

No, it means to wait and let other people reply (unless you have new information to tell us). In all forums it is bad manners to post something and then (minutes, hours or even days later) to post again asking if anyone can help you.
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you tried evicting the node from the Cluster and re-adding it? You may have to consider reinstalling if you still have an issue and have reviewed logs of Dell and MS.

Comment

Working...
                          X