Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V 2012 R2 Trunk vlans

Hi,

does anyone know if i can trunk a few vlans over one virtual switch in hyper-v 2012 r2?
    In vmware you can add virtual machine port group but, with hyper-v i don't know if it's possible

Thanks
    Moshe

Re: Hyper-V 2012 R2 Trunk vlans

You can. You allocate the appropriate VLANS on each VM NIC and I believe that providing your physical NIC and Switch supports it, the Hyper-V Virtual Switch will.

We certainly have some 40 + VLANs assigned to one Virtual Switch in some of our deployments and assign the VLAN directly to each VM.
    Last edited by Virtual; 13th November 2014, 08:18.

Comment

I didn't understand...
      I know that i can specify one vlan on each virtual switch...
      How can i assign more than one vlan to a virtual switch in hyper-v

Moshe

Comment

Originally posted by moshiko View Post
        I didn't understand...
        I know that i can specify one vlan on each virtual switch...
        How can i assign more than one vlan to a virtual switch in hyper-v

Moshe
        You assign the VLAN on the virtual NIC. The virtual switch VLAN setting is for when you're using shared management.

On the vSwitch settings you'll notice that it says "Enable virtual LAN identification for management operating system."
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Vswitch.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	466910

Here's a pic of the NIC settings where you specify the VLAN for the VM:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	vNIC.png
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	466911
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ok, now I understand.
          So I need to specify a vlan on a virtual switch only if I want to manage the host from this virtual switch, and vlan for virtual nic is when when I want a virtual machine to communicated on a specific vlan.
          Correct me if I'm wrong, if I trunk a few vlans on the same port that the virtual switch is connected, I can specify on the virtual nic that is assign to that virtual switch any vlan that I trunk on that port...

Thanks for the help and explanation
          Moshe

Comment

Originally posted by moshiko View Post
            So I need to specify a vlan on a virtual switch only if I want to manage the host from this virtual switch, and vlan for virtual nic is when when I want a virtual machine to communicated on a specific vlan.
            You would specify a VLAN on the vSwitch if you wanted to manage the host through the vSwitch and you want the host on the specified VLAN. It has no bearing on the VMs connected to the vSwitch.
            Correct me if I'm wrong, if I trunk a few vlans on the same port that the virtual switch is connected, I can specify on the virtual nic that is assign to that virtual switch any vlan that I trunk on that port...
            Correct. Glad to help!
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X