Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export and Import Highly available VMs 2008R2 to 2012R2

Hi all,

I want to know if i can export and import a vm from my Hyper-V 2008 R2 Failover cluster to my new Hyper-V 2012 R2 Failover cluster
    I know i can do it if it wasn't a highly available vm but, what if it is a part of a resource cluster.

Thanks for the help
    Moshe

Re: Export and Import Highly available VMs 2008R2 to 2012R2

Yes, you can export and import VMs in and out of failover clusters.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hyper-V 2012 R2 doesn't support WMI v1 namespace which was use in Hyper-V 2008 R2.
      I don't think it will work from just export and import...
      It's also a high availability vm... how it will face the fact that it is moving from hyper-v Failover cluster 2008 r2 to hyper-v failover cluster 2012 r2

Moshe

Comment

Originally posted by moshiko View Post
        Hyper-V 2012 R2 doesn't support WMI v1 namespace which was use in Hyper-V 2008 R2.
        WMI is for management of the of the server/host. The only aspect of this is that you can't use the 2008 tools on 2012 and vice versa.
        http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_g...windows-8.aspx

I don't think it will work from just export and import...
        It's also a high availability vm... how it will face the fact that it is moving from hyper-v Failover cluster 2008 r2 to hyper-v failover cluster 2012 r2
        Moshe
        It's a 3 step process:
        1. Export from Hyper-V Manager on source
        2. Import from Hyper-V Manager on dest
        3. Create the role to make the VM highly available in Failover Cluster Manager
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

Found the following article by Rhoderick Milne

"Windows Hyper-V 2012 & 8.1 Hyper-V Did Not Find Virtual Machine to Import"

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/ar...to-import.aspx

Basically he say that after you export the vm from 2008 R2 you need to stop the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service (VMMS).
          But i don't know what will be the impact on the rest of the VMs running on the host

Moshe

Comment

Oh yes, I do remember running into that now.

So in your case you'll just have to copy the VHD files and attach them to a new VM.

While you're at it I would convert the VHDs to VHDX files.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Worth checking if you can copy the VM folder without exporting, then import into 2012 - I seem to remember reading that this was a workaround for the WMI issue

Actually, forget that - I think the fix was to export from 2008R2, import into 2012 (not R2) then copy the VM folder and import into 2012R2
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't recall that I've ever had a successful export/import work under Hyper-V to be honest, I've always ended up moving the VHD files and recreating the VM even when the hosts are the same OS version. It's always been quicker that way anyway IME.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've never had problems with it (what, never?... well, hardly ever ....), and do a lot of exporting of VMs for training courses, so snapshots (including branching trees) and hardware changes.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would do the Copy cluster resource wizard but, i need a rollback solution.
                    Ossian, you are right but that's complicated if you don't have the resources, and this solution can take a long downtime and that's a production environment.
                    I read that if you stop the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service after you export and then copy the folder to the destination cluster, it can work.
                    but this is a hyper-v 2008 R2 and you don't know what to expect !!!

Moshe

Comment

I read it here
                      http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/ar...to-import.aspx

On the part where it's says "What to Do"
                      Option 1 - Original Hyper-V Server and the VM is still available

Comment

Originally posted by moshiko View Post
                        I would do the Copy cluster resource wizard but, i need a rollback solution.
                        Ossian, you are right but that's complicated if you don't have the resources, and this solution can take a long downtime and that's a production environment.
                        I read that if you stop the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service after you export and then copy the folder to the destination cluster, it can work.
                        but this is a hyper-v 2008 R2 and you don't know what to expect !!!

Moshe
                        Certainly we use the copy cluster wizard when migrating a considerable number of VMs from one 2012 or 2012 R2 Cluster to another. This allows us to then shutdown the VMs, remove the CSV volume that they are on, present that to the new Cluster and they then tend to automatically come up with their original settings.

Another method we have used is carrying out the same as above but not using the Cluster wizard, so we manually import them in, so maintain control and also allows rollback. We also hold off on upgrading integration services in-case we need to rollback. Rollback is of course presenting the storage back to the original Cluster. We also take manual SAN snapshots with the VMs powered off prior to any changes.

Another method has been to re-create VMs and just copy the VHD(X) over to the new folder.

Comment

Can use the copy cluster resource wizard when migrating from Hyper-V 2008 R2 cluster to Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster...

Comment

Working...
                          X