Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network infrastructure for hyper-v redondancy

Hi forum, i am new here .

I need some help with my network infrastructure as i am new to hyper-v.

What do I have:
    2 host servers ( sp1, sp2) with 4 nics on each
    1 switch
    1 router.
    6 virtual machine with 2 dmz
    my entire network is on the same sub .2.X
    i must setup 2 dmz with 10.X and 172.X

What i would like to do:
    i need to setup my 2 hosts in order that if one fails all virtual machine should keep running automatically.

I have installed hyper-core server 2012 on each of the host

i need help to how to configure the nics card and the virtual swicth in order to achieve a redondancy in case of failover.

so step by step : how should i configure the 2 physical host at first?
    then how should i configure the NICS on the server and the virtual switch?
    how should i configure the dmz?
    how i can test if i switch off my host1 the vm should work on host2 and vice-versa

I would really appreciate your help for a best practive network setup.
    Thanks

Re: network infrastructure for hyper-v redondancy

If you want "true" high availability, you will need to think about clustered host servers, so SANs, multiple networks etc, and $$$$

However, there are a couple of cheaper options:
    HyperV replicas, where each host has synchronised copies of the VMs, and if one host fails, you can fire up the replica

VM Clusters, on unclustered hosts, using the virtual SAN facility in HyperV

Regarding the hosts, dedicate one NiC to management and the other 3 (teamed or not) to the VMs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

powershell script for automatic failover hyper-v?

Hi community

could anyone help me with a powershell script that will automatic failover when a VM on a first host will fail?

thanks to help im new in powershell
      Thanks

Comment

Re: powershell script for automatic failover hyper-v?

Added to previous thread

Have you really researched and confirmed replicas are appropriate?

If you use the very helpful site, you may find answers:
        https://www.google.com/search?q=hype...oe=&gws_rd=ssl
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Thanks for your answer
          i am already using VM replica, what i would like to do is the same concept of replica but with the physical host, if one host fail i would like to keep running all VM's on the second host.
          any tutorial for this?

networking talking how i should connect my physical host in order to get the failover cluster?
          thanks

Comment

Are these clustered hosts or separate?
            In general for clustered hosts, you will need one network for the heartbeat between hosts, one for the SAN (if iSCSI) and one or more for the LAN
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

There are some good articles regarding the Hyper-V Clustering on Petri with one relevant to VM failover added as a sticky thread to this forum and specifically worth a review. With you having 4 physical NICs and if you do opt for Clustering, you should have NIC teaming on two of them and make this a dedicated VM network switch, 1 for Cluster hearbeat, that uses a private address scheme and are in their own VLAN and one for the Management. You would then ensure your switches and routers support VLAN trunking and create VLANS for each network you require. In your case, you would set the VLAN for each VM NIC at the VM configuration level.

Comment

Working...
              X