Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using NIC Teaming and a virtual switch for Windows Server 2012 host networking!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using NIC Teaming and a virtual switch for Windows Server 2012 host networking!

Hi thanks for reading a bit of both this one Hyper-v and Server. I am setting up a lab with Server 2012 R2. I have several physical network cards that I have teamed called “HostSwitchTeam” from those I have made several Virtual Network Adaptors such as:

Code:
    New-VMSwitch "MgmtSwitch" -MinimumBandwidthMode weight -NetAdaptername "HostSwitchTeam" -AllowManagement $false
    Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -Name "Vswitch" -SwitchName "MgmtSwitch"

Ect….when I install Hyper-V and it comes to adding a virtual switch during installation it only shows the individual physical network cards and the HostSwitchTeam for selection. When installed it shows the Microsoft Network Multiplexor Driver as the only option. Is this correct or how does one use a VMNetworkAdapter so the Vswitch can be applied to Hyper-v.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul
    Last edited by Wired; 13th October 2014, 00:48. Reason: cleaned up

Re: Using NIC Teaming and a virtual switch for Windows Server 2012 host networking!

If you use the GUI to create a virtual switch, and it's the right kind of virtual switch, you'll see a tick box to check if you want, which tells the v-switch to be available to any VMs you plan to connect, as well as the host OS, by sharing access to the host. Normally, this host-usage is disabled by default, since virtual switches are created inside the host, but not expected to be used by the host. They are normally meant for the VMs.

A virtual switch won't show up on the host's NIC list, unless such sharing is enabled. My personal experience with 2012 (R1) is to leave that box unchecked. Use a dedicated NIC for the host to talk to a physical switch, and the Team you created for the VMs to trunk any of their vlan traffic to the same physical switch, and do your L3 routing between vlans (if necessary), thru an external device.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X