No announcement yet.

VMM 2012 R2 Hyper-V Networking - best practice

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMM 2012 R2 Hyper-V Networking - best practice

I have been reading and studying about the different ways to configure VMM 2012 R2 Hyper-v networking. I have searched and searched, but cannot seem to find a clear answer.

Physical Network - (One Company, no tenants, isolation not required) Single fully routable network with multi vlans at each physical site.

Do I create a Logical Network for each VLAN? (Doesn't seem right)

I am guessing I create a single Logical Network with sites and each site I add it particular available VLANs. (Currently what I am doing) With a single VM Network.

However, when creating VM from Templates, I cannot choose the required VLAN, which breaks the process of auto joining the domain.

How can I make sure the VM is connected to the right VLAN without having to change the VLAN after the VM is created?

Do I create a VM Network for each VLAN? This might make more sense, but I cannot 100% verify if this is the correct way.

Everything I read says if you have a single network, just choose the "One connected network" and a single VM Network, but I run into the VM creation problem (picking the VLAN).

I can choose VLAN-based independent networks, but I do not require Isolation.

Can someone please help sort this out?

Re: VMM 2012 R2 Hyper-V Networking - best practice

I tend to use SCVMM to deploy and set the custom settings. Certainly you should look at having 1 or 2 Virtual Networks for VM traffic (dedicated) and ensure your physical switches and NICs support multiple VLANS down specific ports. Team your Physical NICs as well and associate each Virtual network with that. Ensure you have a separate Management NIC and one for the Heartbeat and Live Migration (if applicable to you)