No announcement yet.

Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

I am looking for a good guide or reference for setting up a HyperV Cluster with Windows Server 2012 R2. Specifically, I need assistance configuring the NICs on the 2 servers to be in the cluster. Each has 2, 10Gb ports and 2, 1 Gb ports. I put 1 of the 10Gb on our iSCSI vlan and the other on our "server/production" vlan. I have a third server also with 2012 R2 with VMM 2012 R2. All guides I have found mention having a NIC for Heartbeat but I believe with 2012 R2 this is no longer required. Thanks

Re: Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

Having read some of M-Soft's articles on 2012 vs R2, I can't find any mention of a removal of need for the 'heartbeat' or CSV network leg. There have been some changes in how R2 deals with CSV activity, etc., but that would suggest the network leg is still necessary.

NICs are cheap, so an additional 1Gig dual-port or quad-port NIC in each cluster node shouldn't break the bank, and CSV doesn't have to be any faster than that.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

As recommended, still take into account the usual when creating the Cluster. We do so for our Windows Server 2012 R2 Clusters and use NIC teaming and a Quorum disk in most cases. It would still be worth having the NIC for the heartbeat to help prevent other network activity effecting it.