Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyper-V replica for a Windows 8 VM possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V replica for a Windows 8 VM possible?

Hi,

I plan to maybe run 2 VMs on Hyper-V. Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and Windows 8.1 Pro. I plan to use a second server with hyper-V free on it. We'll make replicas on it.

I know I can use Hyper-V Replica to make a replica of the Windows Server VM every 5 minutes on the second server. Can we do the same for the Windows 8.1 Pro VM?

Also Can we use the Hyper-V server included with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials to replicate on a Hyper-V free server? Are they compatible? Or should we use 2 Hyper-v free servers so they are more compatible?

Re: Hyper-V replica for a Windows 8 VM possible?

AFAIK the replicas are a function of the HyperV host, and have nothing to do with the OS running on the guest VM, so I don't see anything stopping you having replicas of both 2012 Essentials and Windows 8 VMs on Server 2012 hosts

If I misunderstood you and you are using Windows 8 as the HyperV host, you cannot have replicas of VMs running on it.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Hyper-V replica for a Windows 8 VM possible?

OK thanks a lot Ossian.

Comment

Working...
      X