Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQL Server 2014 SA (Software Assurance) necessary with Hyper-V Replica?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Server 2014 SA (Software Assurance) necessary with Hyper-V Replica?

Hi, I'm new to Windows servers, SQL Server, Hyper-V Replica. What I want to do, for one of my customers, is the following.

Buy a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Licence. The R2 license is suppose to let me do this : Install Hyper-V on the physical machine. And run Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as a Virtual Machine. I want to install Hyper-V Free on a second machine to serve as a Replica server. Every 5 minutes the main VM will be replicated using Hyper-V Replica.

In the document "SQL Server 2014 Licensing Datasheet " (goo.gl/c1JnXY), Microsoft says : "Beginning with SQL Server 2014, each active server licensed with SA coverage allows the installation of a single passive server used for fail-over support." My question is : does this apply to Hyper-V Replica? I mean the Replica and the main VM will never run at the same time. The replica will only be started when there will be a problem with the main VM.

So do I need Software Assurance for SQL Server 2014 if I want to use Hyper-V Replica as a disaster recovery option?

Re: SQL Server 2014 SA (Software Assurance) necessary with Hyper-V Replica?

The logical side of me would argue that you are only using one copy, so why 2 licenses, but unfortunately "logic" and "Microsoft licensing" are two things rarely found in close proximity

Basically, the only authoritative answers you will get are direct from Microsoft, in writing, and you choose the best (for you) of the 4 different answers you get from three different people
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Is it even possible to contact those aliens? It seems impossible (or buried deeply) to find the info to contact them...

Comment

Any one else who has some ideas on this?

Comment

I must apologise for the lousy quality of service today. No reply in just under 4 hours - absolutely shocking. You really should ask for a refund of your membership fee

Please remember that this board is staffed by volunteers, and all members give up their spare time to provide answers. I have been running a training course and, although I saw your post of 12:43, I had other things to do at the time so did not reply. The board rules make it clear that bumping posts is not allowed, nor are double posts, so I have deleted your post in the SQL server forum.

As far as your question goes, the normal route to contacting the "aliens" is via your regional service centre - go to www.microsoft.com and "contact us" will get you there. It may take a few people to give you an answer, but eventually someone will give you some sage advice - always ask for a confirming email, though.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK Ossian and thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Comment

This article explains SQL licensing pretty well: microsoftlicensereview.com/2014/06/22/sql-2014-licensing-update/

"Upon release of SQL 2014, the extended use right to operate a passive instance was incorporated into Software Assurance (SA) and Microsoft confirmed a requirement for license reassignment at point of failover."

I just confirmed with one of our licensing experts at work (a MSFT distributor). She confirmed that SA is required now if you want a passive instance.

That means the cold SQL Server replica, that you get with any kind of VM/storage replication, requires that the primary running instance is licensed with SQL Server + SA.

Reminder: this applies to any kind of VM/storage replication and any kind of virtualisation running SQL Server VMs.

Comment

Thanks Aidan!
                -------------------------------------------------------
                Jeff James
                Editorial Director, Content and Community - www.petri.com
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffjames3
                LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffjames3

Comment

Working...
                X