Routing different subnets across hyper-V virtual switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing different subnets across hyper-V virtual switch

Having a bit of a problem with a hyper-V environment which does not route network traffic on two different subnets between each other.

By my understanding if it were a physical server with two NICs and a gateway set it would forward traffic automatically between the two different subnets. However when one of those NICs is a hyper-V virtual switch that does that not work and no traffic seems to get forwarded between subnets?

We have one hyper-V server with two NICs and one virtualised server.
    NIC 1 = 192.168.0/24 - main Internal company network.
    NIC 2 = 192.168.1/24 - connects to ADSL internet router
    NIC 2 is a hyper-V virtual switch.

Question is how do I route traffic between these two subnets and where is the best place to do this, on the hyper-V host or on the virtualized server?

Re: Routing different subnets across hyper-V virtual switch

Originally posted by Nick_C View Post
    By my understanding if it were a physical server with two NICs and a gateway set it would forward traffic automatically between the two different subnets. However when one of those NICs is a hyper-V virtual switch that does that not work and no traffic seems to get forwarded between subnets?
    A Windows Server OS can route packets, provided routing is enabled. The other nodes on each respective network will need to use that server as a gateway.

Whether the server is physical or virtual does not matter, as long as there's a layer 2 connection between each network and the server acting as a router. If the physical host has 2 NICs, there would have to be 2 virtual switches and the VM would need 2 virtual NICs, one for each vswitch.

(Generally, I'd recommend using routers to route traffic.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
      A Windows Server OS can route packets, provided routing is enabled. The other nodes on each respective network will need to use that server as a gateway.

Whether the server is physical or virtual does not matter, as long as there's a layer 2 connection between each network and the server acting as a router. If the physical host has 2 NICs, there would have to be 2 virtual switches and the VM would need 2 virtual NICs, one for each vswitch.

(Generally, I'd recommend using routers to route traffic.)
      With two NICs packets are routed fine but make one of those into a hyper-V virtual switch and traffic is no-longer routed between the two subnets. What do I need to do to get that routing to work with a virtual switch?

Comment

Which system is supposed to do the routing, the hypervisor or a VM?

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
          Which system is supposed to do the routing, the hypervisor or a VM?
          Good question, could be either.

If done by the hyper-V host partition then that means installing Network Policy and Access services role on hyper-V, bear-in-mind all the recommendations about hyper-V host should be kept as minimal as possible.

If done of the virtualized Domain Controller then we would need to have two virtual switches to pass both subnets to the DC.

What would you suggest is the best place to do the routing?

Such a shame that this whole Network Policy and Access services role needsto be installed to do something which before virtualization just works automatically.

Comment

Working...
          X